IM 50 lagoon - slurping sound

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM 50 has just recently started making a slurping sound randomly. After watching it a bit, I notice that the left return nozzle seems to be sucking in a little air. I can't tell if the air is getting in on the filter side or on the display side of the return. The sound is really annoying. Has anyone else run into this? How did you stop it from happening?

20230124_172130.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd. Is this an ENT? Or INT?

Have you checked all connections from pump to outlet through false wall?

Does this AIO system run one or 2 pumps?

Are you certain its coming from the return?

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd. Is this an ENT? Or INT?

Have you checked all connections from pump to outlet through false wall?

Does this AIO system run one or 2 pumps?

Are you certain its coming from the return?
It's the AIO and I have a single pump. A person on the IM FB group suggested lowering the nozzles as far away from the water surface as possible. He advised "Those nozzles create more flow using a venturi effect and pulling more water in from the back side. What you're hearing is that being so close to the surface, its strong enough to pull water down causing air to get in there that's what causes the slurp." I followed his suggestion and it seems to be working like a charm. There is little to no slurp now.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the AIO and I have a single pump. A person on the IM FB group suggested lowering the nozzles as far away from the water surface as possible. He advised "Those nozzles create more flow using a venturi effect and pulling more water in from the back side. What you're hearing is that being so close to the surface, its strong enough to pull water down causing air to get in there that's what causes the slurp." I followed his suggestion and it seems to be working like a charm. There is little to no slurp now.
This is exactly what was happening. Glad you found the solution.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Glad you found the solution!

And good to know for future IM purchase reference :p

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same setup with the VCA nozzles on the same tank. How much flow are you running through your return pump? This will happen to mine if I turn my Varios2 up to 80 or 100 percent. It doesn't do it if I leave it at lower flow rates. You can't really get the nozzle any lower unless you add more locline links and that makes the whole think stick out into the tank way too far.

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same setup with the VCA nozzles on the same tank. How much flow are you running through your return pump? This will happen to mine if I turn my Varios2 up to 80 or 100 percent. It doesn't do it if I leave it at lower flow rates. You can't really get the nozzle any lower unless you add more locline links and that makes the whole think stick out into the tank way too far.
I have the Jebao DCP 4000 return pump. It's supposed to be 4000lph/1056gph at 32w. (without regard for head pressure) I have it running at 16w so I am assuming that is around 500gph, but I'm not entirely sure if the math checks out on that. I am also concerned that adding more loc-line might make the nozzle go too far out into the tank. It almost seems too far already.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Jebao DCP 4000 return pump. It's supposed to be 4000lph/1056gph at 32w. (without regard for head pressure) I have it running at 16w so I am assuming that is around 500gph, but I'm not entirely sure if the math checks out on that. I am also concerned that adding more loc-line might make the nozzle go too far out into the tank. It almost seems too far already.
One of mine sticks out about 6" and that is way too far. I can't get it to come apart. I need a locline tool.
I run my pump on the lowest setting so I'm sure I'm running much less flow than you are.

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of mine sticks out about 6" and that is way too far. I can't get it to come apart. I need a locline tool.
I run my pump on the lowest setting so I'm sure I'm running much less flow than you are.
From what I understand, the lowest setting on the Varios 2 pump is 1450lph or around 383gph. If you are still having good flow, maybe I need to turn mine down a little.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, the lowest setting on the Varios 2 pump is 1450lph or around 383gph. If you are still having good flow, maybe I need to turn mine down a little.
I think I have pretty good flow but most of it comes from the two Nero 3's, one on either side, plus the return pump flow. I like slower flow through the filtration media, etc. No real reason for that other than it seems to work for me.
My anemones and eyphillia wave around quite a bit. SPS didn't do so well in my tank so maybe I don't actually have enough flow? It's tough to balance it out in a mixed reef with sps, lps and softies in this tanks footprint. I think the sps got the short end of the stick but I can't say for sure.

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have pretty good flow but most of it comes from the two Nero 3's, one on either side, plus the return pump flow. I like slower flow through the filtration media, etc. No real reason for that other than it seems to work for me.
My anemones and eyphillia wave around quite a bit. SPS didn't do so well in my tank so maybe I don't actually have enough flow? It's tough to balance it out in a mixed reef with sps, lps and softies in this tanks footprint. I think the sps got the short end of the stick but I can't say for sure.
According to VCA, their nozzles do better with stronger flow so I was going for what I felt was a good balance, but I may slow it down a little. I also have 2 nero 3s in the tank. I have one in front of the rock and one blowing behind the rock so I can hopefully avoid dead spots. I also plan to have LPS and softies. I may try and drop my pump in what I think is the 450gph range and see how that does. It's all gonna change as soon as I put some corals in and can really see the water movement.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to VCA, their nozzles do better with stronger flow so I was going for what I felt was a good balance, but I may slow it down a little. I also have 2 nero 3s in the tank. I have one in front of the rock and one blowing behind the rock so I can hopefully avoid dead spots. I also plan to have LPS and softies. I may try and drop my pump in what I think is the 450gph range and see how that does. It's all gonna change as soon as I put some corals in and can really see the water movement.
I tried to post a short video of my flow but it didn't work. Edited out the non functioning videos.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back