IM AIO 50g Lagoon

taylored_projects

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of starting up a new IM AIO 50g lagoon reef at work. So far I have rock and the latest IM Heater. My next purchase will be sand, and salt, then I can add water. I am curious if anyone near Provo Utah has live rubble rock from a well-established tank that they have kept cryptic (in no light.) that might be willing to share or that I could buy off you cheap. I am debating on adding that to the back of my AIO for the beneficial bacteria and pods. (I can't wait for BRS's Part 2 on the Bihome testing!) I will try to keep my progress posted. I also share on insta @taylored_projects. Thanks!

Tank.jpg

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am in the process of starting up a new IM AIO 50g lagoon reef at work. So far I have rock and the latest IM Heater. My next purchase will be sand, and salt, then I can add water. I am curious if anyone near Provo Utah has live rubble rock from a well-established tank that they have kept cryptic (in no light.) that might be willing to share or that I could buy off you cheap. I am debating on adding that to the back of my AIO for the beneficial bacteria and pods. (I can't wait for BRS's Part 2 on the Bihome testing!) I will try to keep my progress posted. I also share on insta @taylored_projects. Thanks!

Tank.jpg
I’m in the process of starting a build with this same tank! I’ll be curious to watch your progress. Good luck!

OP
OP
taylored_projects

taylored_projects

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is filled with sand, and salt is mixed to 102.6. I used CaribSea Direct sand on the bottom and capped it with CaribSea Special Grade (nether rinsed). I started with the Hydros XP8 to get on-and-off capabilities. I will be adding to it from here. I moved the IM Heater controller off the back wall and onto the tank side door. I peeled off an ugly square of paint on my back wall now I get to try and fix that. :confounded-face:

I am in no rush to add a light to the tank, I am going to just let it cycle, and add more controllers/monitoring, eventually get fish. The plan is the Light will be the last thing other than coral I add to this tank.

In the meantime, I am trying to choose between a Kessil A360x or Radion XR15. I am leaning more toward the Kessil, I just like the idea of simple programming, and I love the shimmer. My thoughts behind the XR15 is the amazing spread.

follow me on insta @taylored_projects

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 34

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the meantime, I am trying to choose between a Kessil A360x or Radion XR15. I am leaning more toward the Kessil, I just like the idea of simple programming, and I love the shimmer. My thoughts behind the XR15 is the amazing spread.

follow me on insta @taylored_projects

Check out the latest BRStv episodes about lighting. Super informative!

OP
OP
taylored_projects

taylored_projects

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would give the latest update to my tank. I finally decided on lighting. I ordered the Orphek OR3 LED light bars. I went with 2 Blue Plus and one Reef Day Violet. Along with the Osix controller. I may add more lights if needed, in the future. I am hoping this will give me enough par for Softies, and LPS, possibly some easy SPS.

As for flow in the tank, I am still trying to decide if I want to just do a couple of Jebao pumps or a couple of AI Nero 3’s or 5’s or more than likely the Innovative Marine pumps that give a nice wide flow pattern.

The Livestock I have right now is a Royal Gourami and 3 Molly's with an additional 4 being acclimated to salt right now.

As for future livestock, I know, that I would like to do a yellow wrasse or something like that to help manage pests. I'd love a Maroon Clown or a pair of clowns. I would like a Lawnmower blenny, Tomini Tang, and Yellow Tang. Ideally all fish apart from the clowns and gourami I’d like them to serve a purpose.

For a macro cleanup crew, I know that I would like Trochus snails and some snails that like to dig in the sand. Possibly some Nerite snails. I'm open to other suggestions and possibly some hermit crabs (whatever ones tend to be less of a pest)

I am currently doing a weekly 10% water change.

Thanks for reading and I’d love your feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 27

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would give the latest update to my tank. I finally decided on lighting. I ordered the Orphek OR3 LED light bars. I went with 2 Blue Plus and one Reef Day Violet. Along with the Osix controller. I may add more lights if needed, in the future. I am hoping this will give me enough par for Softies, and LPS, possibly some easy SPS.

As for flow in the tank, I am still trying to decide if I want to just do a couple of Jebao pumps or a couple of AI Nero 3’s or 5’s or more than likely the Innovative Marine pumps that give a nice wide flow pattern.

The Livestock I have right now is a Royal Gourami and 3 Molly's with an additional 4 being acclimated to salt right now.

As for future livestock, I know, that I would like to do a yellow wrasse or something like that to help manage pests. I'd love a Maroon Clown or a pair of clowns. I would like a Lawnmower blenny, Tomini Tang, and Yellow Tang. Ideally all fish apart from the clowns and gourami I’d like them to serve a purpose.

For a macro cleanup crew, I know that I would like Trochus snails and some snails that like to dig in the sand. Possibly some Nerite snails. I'm open to other suggestions and possibly some hermit crabs (whatever ones tend to be less of a pest)

I am currently doing a weekly 10% water change.

Thanks for reading and I’d love your feedback!
The Royal Gramma, Tomini and Yellow tangs, and to a lesser extent the Lawnmower Blenny are going to all want to claim a cave/opening in the rock work and defend it. You may have some hostility problems unless you look at some more caves or shelter via more rock, or more coral. Or artificial structures.

Back