I'm bored, let's see your reefs.

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught a picture with most of the gang present (and begging for food)
9e037bfe897d3d3c476efa92612f651d.jpg
I could stare at this all day, wow

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods don't stand a chance in that tank. How many wrasses are in there?
Nice.

7 total, and a mandarin. She (the mandarin) has been holding up pretty well so far and there is still a ton of pods in the refugium, but I’m probably going to add some more soon just to give it a little boost. I’ll probably wait until lights out when most of them are sleeping and dump a bottle or two in the display, and maybe one in the sump.

I haven’t added pods in over a year though and she’s been fine, but I just like to make sure it’s all good. I’ve been through a lot with the little lady so I want to keep her fat and happy :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome ! How long did it take for that torch to get so big ? Your acros look great too

I’ve had the torch for just about 1.5-2 years, it started with probably 7 heads and had over 30 before I had to stop counting. I actually just fragged a huge chunk off for a fellow reefer not too long ago, so it has actually thinned down quite a bit [emoji12]

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the torch for just about 1.5-2 years, it started with probably 7 heads and had over 30 before I had to stop counting. I actually just fragged a huge chunk off for a fellow reefer not too long ago, so it has actually thinned down quite a bit [emoji12]

Lol yeah you are gonna have to do a lot of. Fragging with that kind of growth. I know some of my local lfs stores will buy back corals for half price when you frag them. I just bought a crossbred torch a couple months ago it’s crazy how it has all the features of a typical torch along with the qualities of a hammer and frogspawn it’s wild. Have you ever tried any scolys they would be a great addition to your tank ! I just bought a war paint scoly from wwc and it really pops in my tank.

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 total, and a mandarin. She (the mandarin) has been holding up pretty well so far and there is still a ton of pods in the refugium, but I’m probably going to add some more soon just to give it a little boost. I’ll probably wait until lights out when most of them are sleeping and dump a bottle or two in the display, and maybe one in the sump.

I haven’t added pods in over a year though and she’s been fine, but I just like to make sure it’s all good. I’ve been through a lot with the little lady so I want to keep her fat and happy :)

If you ever need to get some more pods for your mandarin check out the mandarin feeding kit on AlgaeBarn I did this for my pod breeding station for my mandarin

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah you are gonna have to do a lot of. Fragging with that kind of growth. I know some of my local lfs stores will buy back corals for half price when you frag them. I just bought a crossbred torch a couple months ago it’s crazy how it has all the features of a typical torch along with the qualities of a hammer and frogspawn it’s wild. Have you ever tried any scolys they would be a great addition to your tank ! I just bought a war paint scoly from wwc and it really pops in my tank.

You should post a picture up! I’ve never heard of crossing torch with other euphyllia... in my experience they aren’t always hospitable. My torch was ok with my gold hammer nearby, until it wasn’t. Now they live on opposite sides of the tank lol

I would do a scoly... but unfortunately any type of fleshy LPS is on the menu with my potters angel. I had a few acans and a huge open brain that I had to rehome after he started picking at them.

Deep down, I’m a fish and SPS girl... so as long as they don’t touch the sticks I can go without the fun LPS. I just live vicariously through the awesome LPS tanks on here ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever need to get some more pods for your mandarin check out the mandarin feeding kit on AlgaeBarn I did this for my pod breeding station for my mandarin

My refugium does pretty well for breeding them... I’m just not sure if they make it to the display as fast as the fish eat them. I’ve thought about using a few small pieces of LR that I exchange between the sump and DT, as like a pod elevator lol. But then, it sounds like a pain in the butt to keep moving rocks back and forth....and dumping a few bottles of pods in every now and then, sounds much easier haha

She’s pretty fat now, and I do have a good bit of live rock in there so she’d probably be fine with no intervention at all.... I guess it just makes me feel better to know I’m “doing something” for her.

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium does pretty well for breeding them... I’m just not sure if they make it to the display as fast as the fish eat them. I’ve thought about using a few small pieces of LR that I exchange between the sump and DT, as like a pod elevator lol. But then, it sounds like a pain in the butt to keep moving rocks back and forth....and dumping a few bottles of pods in every now and then, sounds much easier haha

She’s pretty fat now, and I do have a good bit of live rock in there so she’d probably be fine with no intervention at all.... I guess it just makes me feel better to know I’m “doing something” for her.

I have seen some videos of people doing a diy for dosing live pods into the tank I don't know how well that would work though lol. You
could always just setup a cheap 10 gallon tank get a light , some chaeto , cheap air pump , live pods and phytoplankton to feed the pods.
I did this but with just a 6 gallon because I had one laying around haha. And once you need to add them to the tank just take a cupful from the tank over like a small mesh strainer and so that you just get the pods and then put them in your display tank or your refuge.

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my word that rock work is amazing bro! This is what I want my tank to look like but with more softies, just love the way they sway in the current.

Back