I'm building a pico reef aquarium!

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that small amount of macro wont oxygenate the water nor does it replace much needed nutrients.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's amphipods in there which should do the job a single shrimp. I think the concept laid out by PJ Reefs is a sealed system that only needs maintenance once every three months. The macro and inverts take care of the biolode. The star is literally smaller than a dime so no real load produced there. I'm going to let it roll as is and see what happens. If may blow up and go south quick. I'll certainly keep an eye on it everyday and if it looks like things are going south, then I'll change the plan.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Dtackett: I appreciate your suggestions, but there are some contradictions above that are confusing:

"you don't need to drill a hole for fresh air to come in, a sealed system works great" but then you say, "the best thing you can do right now, add something for flow. you can use a simple airstone and pump to provide the flow and break the surface. it works great and with a sealed tank there is no salt creep." and then you say, "if you use an airstone, you drill a small hole and feed the airline though, or you modify the seal and lid on the edge to hold the airline." and add "with an airstone youll have air escaping which will allow for salt creep".

Also, with softies like zoas the zooxanthellae provides all the nutrition they'll need. Why would I feed soft coral and introduce all those nutrients to the system to be absorbed into the rock and then released to grow nuisance algae? I don't really care if the coral grows any, just as long as it maintains. The LEDs should provide the light needed to grow the zooxanthellae for the coral to live on. With the regimen you suggest I definitely would have to do weekly water changes. I don't think that's what a sealed system is all about. It should stand as a self maintaining ecosystem requiring very little maintenance. At least that's how I understand it. Like I said, it could go all to hell real quick.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sure about the longevity of their tanks, but I believe I've read they've been going for more than a year now based on his setup.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the "it works great" was meant for use of a water pump. I apologize for the confusion but im at work and have to type quickly between people needing me. with a water pump you can maintain a true sealed system and wont have an issue with evap or salt creep. an airstone is more commonly used on these tiny tanks but when air is introduced it has to be able to escape. salt creep will occur where the air escapes.

as for a self sustained system, what will you be doing to replenish nutrients used by the coral? remember, even soft corals absorb a small amount of cal and alk. in the process mag is used as well (very small amounts of mag) water changes are used for a lot more than just nutrient export. your corals, yes even soft, will absorb cal alk mag and most other trace elements.

as for them running a year that's easy. check back with them in 5 years, 8 years, 10 years and see if its still running... this pico/micro tanks are very simple with the proper maintenance. it might sound like a lot for such a small amount of water but itll only take about 5 minutes a week to properly maintain this little tank and make it last longer than many big tanks.

you've got a nice setup and I would hate to see if fail over 5 minutes a week of work.

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico means 1/1,000,000,000,000. one trillionth of at tank. Not sure it is that small. But a really cute name.

Of course, nano means one billionth.

;)

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week and still looking good. I plan to leave it sealed for one month and then open for an almost complete water change.
11-17-15 One week.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already amazed Wade. I was skeptical that there be any kind of balance or equilibrium that would support the lack of flow or gas exchange. Impressed, and kinda baffled, all at the same time.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeff. I really don't know the science behind it all, but I believe it reaches a sort of stasis where it wold be harmful to open the container often and let oxygen in. I believe it would cause a spike of nitrate or something to that effect. I remember reading something like while doing my research. When I do my monthly water change, I plan to open it and suck out most of the water quickly with a turkey baster and then refill with fresh sw before a spike can occur (at least that's the plan). Like I said earlier, it may start to go south far before then and I'll need to do it sooner, but so far so good and I inspect it daily except weekends (it's at work).

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a long holiday weekend coming up and me being off for the next five days, I decided to go ahead and do a water change this morning. I used a turkey baster to suck the water out and then used it to put fresh sw back in. I also added some sprigs of red grape caulerpa. Other than bumping and knocking some of the frags off their perches, that's all that was done. Yes, I need to glue everything in place. I meant to do that today, but forgot the crazy glue. I'll get it next time. I did however remember the NO3 test kit:) After 16 days sealed up, there were zero measurable nitrates and no signs of the water becoming stagnant. Pods were still alive and kicking. I'll let it go until the week before Christmas this time unless it starts to look like it's going south.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pico Wade! Glad to see the corals are doing well.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can hook you up with the mini brittle stars Wade! You just say when, and I'll start collecting for you. I usually get half a dozen or so out of my socks when I clean them, and can get more off the bottom of a night.

I don't have the graciliaria, but I do have some dragons breath, and will gladly donate a chunk for your endeavor.

More pics!!!
@CastAway do you still have a bunch of micro brittle stars?

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I put them in my frag tank so they would be easy to find once I got ready to put the nano together and couldn't find a single one of them. Ninja stars is what they are. One did hitch hike on a zoa frag that I put in the nano so I got one after all:) The rest I've yet to see.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CastAway do you still have a bunch of micro brittle stars?
Sure do man. Need me to collect some for you?

You know, I put them in my frag tank so they would be easy to find once I got ready to put the nano together and couldn't find a single one of them. Ninja stars is what they are. One did hitch hike on a zoa frag that I put in the nano so I got one after all:) The rest I've yet to see.
lol at ninja stars. If things are going well, and you don't want to disrupt the pico equalibirum you have going on, fine. If you want more though, just say.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week and still looking good. I plan to leave it sealed for one month and then open for an almost complete water change.
11-17-15 One week.jpg
Gorgeous, job well done...Stick to your plans and don't listen to people who think they know it all, it's really coming along nicely!

sc8kv123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome jarquarium! Very professional looking finished product. If you have the chance you should show more pics of the little stand and how you have the light mounted.
Really interested in the progress of this tank. I've read pulsing xenia pulses to create its own water flow for exchange. Maybe throw some in there if you were curious. http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/30/pulsing-xenia-mystery-solved/

Back