IM Lagoon 25 and lighting

JGoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been in the hobby for many years and I am downsizing to the Lagoon 25. My former tank was a 120 gallon sps dominated tank. I want to do the same with my Lagoon 25 with a select colection of acros in a temporary tank right now. I wanted to see what others are using for light. I started my last tank with reef breeders LEDs and always felt that something was missing. Right now I am trying to figure out if I should go t5 six bulb ati sun power, Metal Halide, or LED. Just wanted to see or here what others are using with this tank and sps corals.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have the money and want to go with leds get a radion g4 xr30pro that’s the best of the best. And if u use the ecotech coral lab sps ab+ light program that’s even better will this be ur build thread?

OP
OP
J

JGoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply Brett. The Radion may be out of my price range right now. I have been researching the Kessil tuna blue 360w. I keep going back to T5 and halide because of all the success I have had in the past but I am also not sure what fixture would work well on a tank that is 12 inches deep.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tank isn't deep, at all, you could get away with -almost- anything. AI Hydra 26 HD or the Kessil would work too. Also depends on the area you are trying to cover. Corona by Rapid is another option.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe take a look at the Nanobox LED fixtures as well. Very well received by the nano crowd. No lenses used so spread is better and shadowing is reduced vs some other LED fixtures. And since the IM 25 lagoon is only 12" deep, penetration of the non-lensed leds shouldn't be an issue.

At minimum I'd look at the Duo, but for max lighting the wide quad would be better.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the tried and true options. :)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A four bulb ATI fixture you can usually pick one up cheap on the used market. I want to put my Giesemann Mattrix II over a Lagoon 25.

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Radion Gen2 Pro on mine and its doing great. Much less color separation than a Gen4.
The Radion at 75%, 18" off the water surface for better coverage, less "hot spot" effect, and better top down viewing. Granted I have mainly Zs & Ps, and LPS but I do have some Acros that seem happy but could use more light. Honestly I am out of room for them so they will likely never be mounted.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 Kessil A360's or Metal Hailide would do you just fine. Cheap, EASY, and reliable. I'll advocate for a Radion since that is what I use and is definitely my favorite light. But I don't know you, your skill set with technology or how simple you want programming your lights to be.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another active thread on lighting here, I'm using 2x Kessil A160WE's on a fusion 20; slightly deeper, skinnier. Haven't had any lighting related issues, nor would I see any stemming from a 25% increase (~4.5") in width.

Best advice I can give is try and see some lights in action, in person. Shimmer is ultimately what made me decide on the Kessils.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back