I'm looking for someone that could answer my questions

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day everyone, as my profile suggests I am setting up a 35 gallon tank (US) and I have some general questions.

I would be really greatful if someone answered them.

I want to warn you that I'm NOT good at english and I will make mistakes.

What media should I use and in what quantities?
I will use a canister filter (oase 250 biofilter) and I have those media: af phosfate minus, af carbon, zeolite, af life bio fil, sponges and plastic bioballs.

Which bacteria /or all of them/ should I use?
I have those: seachem stability, af bio s, and biodigest ampoules.

I have those tests and they do not help me now: Mg, Ca and other metals . When should I start to use them?

For some reason I used nyos alkalinity instead of baking soda to super glue together my rocks (marco ones) will my tank be ok (I haven't placed my rocks yet)?

I would like to place mainly sps corals in my tank. How not to break the bank (It is hard for me to get frags, it is only possible to buy colonies with at least 10 ends ( i do not know how to call them.. tips?)) ?

Also how to increase the bioload for the 1 year when I only have fish and clean up crew but hardly to no coral. Is it even nessecery to place acros and montis at roughfly tthe same time?

Will a single ai prime 16hd power the top half of my tank for sps? I don't want to buy a par meter so I ask peaple with similair aquariums ( ab 50cm every side)

Thank you in advice. I hope I could help you when I will be a better reefer but for know I need to ask You.

OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish or invert ideas?
Hello livinlifeinBKK, I got a message that someone quoted me. I don't know if you ask me or someone else because I'm not familiar with this platform. If no sorry for interrupting. If yes ,I have my lifestock almost fully planned out:
-pair or clownfish (occelaris)
-sand goby or what fish cares for shrimp
-pistol shrimp
-cleaning shrimp
-some crabs / hermits (I haven't decided yet)
-6line wrasse
-urchin
-small clam
-fire thingish-longish fish (sorry, I forgot the name)
-a big if on a royal grandma
-a island of zoas
-acroporas and montis

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
The plan looks okay, but it will be a big bioload for 35g. Just make sure to keep up on maintenance as you add more and fill it up.
I also would start with some live rock if you can. Just makes life easier in the long run.

Testing Salinity regularly to make sure stay within normal limits: 35ppt or 1.025specific gravity. A refractometer is best for this in my opinion.

Get down to no nitrites, no ammonia, and 5-10 nitrates and you should be good to add some living organisms. If you use good live rock, you should not have a "cycle".

For corals, try local clubs if you have them. LFS if those are around.

Good luck and start a build thread when you set up! Find them under the Forum/Member's Aquarium Discussion/Nano Reefs.

Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello livinlifeinBKK, I got a message that someone quoted me. I don't know if you ask me or someone else because I'm not familiar with this platform. If no sorry for interrupting. If yes ,I have my lifestock almost fully planned out:
-pair or clownfish (occelaris)
-sand goby or what fish cares for shrimp
-pistol shrimp
-cleaning shrimp
-some crabs / hermits (I haven't decided yet)
-6line wrasse
-urchin
-small clam
-fire thingish-longish fish (sorry, I forgot the name)
-a big if on a royal grandma
-a island of zoas
-acroporas and montis
I read through your thread last night but have had a busy day and still have some work to get done so sorry if you've already responded to the same questions I'm about to ask now (or may have last night even). The #1 issue that jumps out is a concern if the light will be powerful enough for the clam because they do require strong lighting. I have one under what I'd consider to be slightly overkill but he's done great and has been growing for years...(I don't think it's very easy to overdo light on clams but not too difficult to underdog things).
#2-Do you mean a firefish by the "things long fish" or something similar? If you meant a pipefish, unfortunately that's not advisable for a tank that size in the eyes of most people and especially due to the fact it's a very young tank (Startup), theres unlikely to be an ample supply of copepods for a pipefish to eat...(again, if that's what you mean).
#3- you'll go through some type of ugly stage full of algae almost certainly so a small urchin sounds good but I'd wait for the algae which won't take long as a natural food source.
#4-ive never kept a 6 line but have heard they are absolute BULLIES in smaller tanks from others.
#5- I'd really caution against adding Stony corals and especially finicky genera such as Acropora until you tank matures and achieves good stability...I KNOW THAT CAN FEEL SO LONG HAHA! We all go through that feeling so it's not only you.

Again, this is my personal opinion and as you'll probably see in just a few minutes other reefers will chime in with theirs. I don't think anyone would dispute that it's wise to go a little slow until you get the hang of things though...there are a million amazingly colored and unique softies like zoas while you're first getting your feet wet and that's generally wise because we all make silly mistakes just starting out but to see your prized acro die overnight in your first month hurts a lot more then going slow.

Yeah, I replied to your comment myself just to see what your plans were! Feel free to direct message me anytime!

Enjoy the hobby and this incredible learning journey!!

Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
The plan looks okay, but it will be a big bioload for 35g. Just make sure to keep up on maintenance as you add more and fill it up.
I also would start with some live rock if you can. Just makes life easier in the long run.

Testing Salinity regularly to make sure stay within normal limits: 35ppt or 1.025specific gravity. A refractometer is best for this in my opinion.

Get down to no nitrites, no ammonia, and 5-10 nitrates and you should be good to add some living organisms. If you use good live rock, you should not have a "cycle".

For corals, try local clubs if you have them. LFS if those are around.

Good luck and start a build thread when you set up! Find them under the Forum/Member's Aquarium Discussion/Nano Reefs.
Yes, I agree that live rock (from the ocean if at all possible) is 100% the way to go!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through your thread last night but have had a busy day and still have some work to get done so sorry if you've already responded to the same questions I'm about to ask now (or may have last night even). The #1 issue that jumps out is a concern if the light will be powerful enough for the clam because they do require strong lighting. I have one under what I'd consider to be slightly overkill but he's done great and has been growing for years...(I don't think it's very easy to overdo light on clams but not too difficult to underdog things).
#2-Do you mean a firefish by the "things long fish" or something similar? If you meant a pipefish, unfortunately that's not advisable for a tank that size in the eyes of most people and especially due to the fact it's a very young tank (Startup), theres unlikely to be an ample supply of copepods for a pipefish to eat...(again, if that's what you mean).
#3- you'll go through some type of ugly stage full of algae almost certainly so a small urchin sounds good but I'd wait for the algae which won't take long as a natural food source.
#4-ive never kept a 6 line but have heard they are absolute BULLIES in smaller tanks from others.
#5- I'd really caution against adding Stony corals and especially finicky genera such as Acropora until you tank matures and achieves good stability...I KNOW THAT CAN FEEL SO LONG HAHA! We all go through that feeling so it's not only you.

Again, this is my personal opinion and as you'll probably see in just a few minutes other reefers will chime in with theirs. I don't think anyone would dispute that it's wise to go a little slow until you get the hang of things though...there are a million amazingly colored and unique softies like zoas while you're first getting your feet wet and that's generally wise because we all make silly mistakes just starting out but to see your prized acro die overnight in your first month hurts a lot more then going slow.

Yeah, I replied to your comment myself just to see what your plans were! Feel free to direct message me anytime!

Enjoy the hobby and this incredible learning journey!!
Thank you for your advice! I will surely wait ab a year before adding hard coral. I know that with that many animals I will need to add a skimmer and I am thinking about making a diy refugium with lighting. I hadn't had an idea that clams are photosyntetic! Is a hybrid t5 fixture with a single ai prime enough? And yes, I meant firefish I'm just bad at remembering names.

Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice! I will surely wait ab a year before adding hard coral. I know that with that many animals I will need to add a skimmer and I am thinking about making a diy refugium with lighting. I hadn't had an idea that clams are photosyntetic! Is a hybrid t5 fixture with a single ai prime enough? And yes, I meant firefish I'm just bad at remembering names.
Honestly, I couldn't comment on the T5's power because I've always used LEDs for my tanks. T5s are absolutely beautiful though!...I don't want to give bad advice regarding the power of the hybrid T5 for a clam and SPS though so I'd prefer to let someone else chime in here. If you've got a specific question like that feel free to make a new thread! You'll get plenty of helpful guys who have plenty of experience with them!

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams can be fine under T5s as that is how I raise mine before they go under MH and T5s. They will however want lots of light, so high in the tank. I think mine are maybe under 6" of water at most under my T5s. under my MH, further down, but older too.

Wait on the clam until you have very good stable water and mature tank (usually we say a year, but can depend).

Upvote 0

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JSker explained it best! Take your time! Slow and steady for stability and success, and find someone with a beautiful reef local to you and have them mentor you. Good luck!

How Are You Doing Whats Up GIF

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back