I'm looking for someone that could answer my questions

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2023
Messages
57
Reaction score
33
Location
Poland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day everyone, as my profile suggests I am setting up a 35 gallon tank (US) and I have some general questions.

I would be really greatful if someone answered them.

I want to warn you that I'm NOT good at english and I will make mistakes.

What media should I use and in what quantities?
I will use a canister filter (oase 250 biofilter) and I have those media: af phosfate minus, af carbon, zeolite, af life bio fil, sponges and plastic bioballs.

Which bacteria /or all of them/ should I use?
I have those: seachem stability, af bio s, and biodigest ampoules.

I have those tests and they do not help me now: Mg, Ca and other metals . When should I start to use them?

For some reason I used nyos alkalinity instead of baking soda to super glue together my rocks (marco ones) will my tank be ok (I haven't placed my rocks yet)?

I would like to place mainly sps corals in my tank. How not to break the bank (It is hard for me to get frags, it is only possible to buy colonies with at least 10 ends ( i do not know how to call them.. tips?)) ?

Also how to increase the bioload for the 1 year when I only have fish and clean up crew but hardly to no coral. Is it even nessecery to place acros and montis at roughfly tthe same time?

Will a single ai prime 16hd power the top half of my tank for sps? I don't want to buy a par meter so I ask peaple with similair aquariums ( ab 50cm every side)

Thank you in advice. I hope I could help you when I will be a better reefer but for know I need to ask You.
 
G'day everyone, as my profile suggests I am setting up a 35 gallon tank (US) and I have some general questions.

I would be really greatful if someone answered them.

I want to warn you that I'm NOT good at english and I will make mistakes.

What media should I use and in what quantities?
I will use a canister filter (oase 250 biofilter) and I have those media: af phosfate minus, af carbon, zeolite, af life bio fil, sponges and plastic bioballs.

Which bacteria /or all of them/ should I use?
I have those: seachem stability, af bio s, and biodigest ampoules.

I have those tests and they do not help me now: Mg, Ca and other metals . When should I start to use them?

For some reason I used nyos alkalinity instead of baking soda to super glue together my rocks (marco ones) will my tank be ok (I haven't placed my rocks yet)?

I would like to place mainly sps corals in my tank. How not to break the bank (It is hard for me to get frags, it is only possible to buy colonies with at least 10 ends ( i do not know how to call them.. tips?)) ?

Also how to increase the bioload for the 1 year when I only have fish and clean up crew but hardly to no coral. Is it even nessecery to place acros and montis at roughfly tthe same time?

Will a single ai prime 16hd power the top half of my tank for sps? I don't want to buy a par meter so I ask peaple with similair aquariums ( ab 50cm every side)

Thank you in advice. I hope I could help you when I will be a better reefer but for know I need to ask You.
A canister filter will polish the water clear but is a mechanical unit and you will want biological means
Ideal would be to place live rock in the tank and add a protein skimmer that hangs on the tank
Stock slowly once tank is cycled and use good test kits to monitor your water
 
Upvote 0
20230604_203550.gif
 
Upvote 0
I will use a canister filter (oase 250 biofilter) and I have those media: af phosfate minus, af carbon, zeolite, af life bio fil, sponges and plastic bioballs.
I would suggest phosphate minus, zeolite, and a small amount of carbon it a separate media setup
I have those: seachem stability, af bio s, and biodigest ampoules.
Aquaforest pro bio S
I have those tests and they do not help me now: Mg, Ca and other metals . When should I start to use them?
I would suggest testing randomly now to see where your system parameters are at.
For some reason I used nyos alkalinity instead of baking soda to super glue together my rocks (marco ones) will my tank be ok (I haven't placed my rocks yet)?
I have no idea on this one, but Aquaforest stone fix is what I have used in the past
I would like to place mainly sps corals in my tank. How not to break the bank (It is hard for me to get frags, it is only possible to buy colonies with at least 10 ends ( i do not know how to call them.. tips?)) ?
I would suggest to look for local reefer to by frags.
Also how to increase the bioload for the 1 year when I only have fish and clean up crew but hardly to no coral. Is it even nessecery to place acros and montis at roughfly tthe same time?
Have fish and feed, feed. I do not like using supplements just natural.
Will a single ai prime 16hd power the top half of my tank for sps? I don't want to buy a par meter so I ask peaple with similair aquariums ( ab 50cm every side)
I would suggest a AI Hydra 32 HD. It is better to have to much power and decrease the intensity, then not having enough.

I would suggest a trip to Aquaforest since you are closer than I. The staff over at Aquaforest would be glad to help you out in explaining how to us products and what not to use.

I am a big fan of Aquaforest and they are great people at Aquaforest.
Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0.png
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Welcome.gif
 
Upvote 0
Welcome
I didn't notice anything about checking salinity/ specific gravity. A refractometer designed for seawater is a definite need.
I would not worry about Alkalinity or CA until you are ready to add stony coral. If just starting you will want to check Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates and make sure that you understand the safe levels of those before you add any living creatures.

Take your time, read as much as you can, ask questions before you do anything that you aren't certain of, enjoy the ride.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome, glad you are here! I highly suggest watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. It takes you step by step on starting and maintaining a reef tank.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new