IM MinimMax Midsize Reactor running GFO and ROX Carbon

MergeConflict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking wisdom...

I have the afore mentioned reactor in an IM Fusion 30L, and am running BRS Bulk GFO and ROX .8 carbon. Stuffing and pumping the reactor in factory default configuration resulted in it blowing its load all over the sump and display.

While the carbon is unsightly, it's not toxic, and (it looks like) livestock won't eat it - so less of a reason to panic (I have never googled something as fast as I did that question....)

Challenges:
Carbon: The carbon is small enough to make it past the factory retaining sponges. When the pump is running full blast, this will happen. I didn't try the pump at lower speeds because 1) ain't no body got time for that 2) I have it there to process water, so lets process water. This carbon is light so it will float on the slightest current.

Sponges: Because of the sponges are loose fitting, the flow (again at full volume) can push the sponges around. This can cause the (heavier) GFO to separate with the (soooo light) carbon. Any carbon that sinks will be ground into a nice dust as the GFO will tumble at this pump volume.

GFO: No problems aside from your personal sentiment on running GFO.

Fixes:
BRS Recommended: The support folks over at BRS recommended running both medias in media bags in the reactor. I suppose this will mostly work, but will end up with a lower volume of processed water since it will be able to channel around the fabric and stuff. Also the sponges will still get pushed around - but not sure if that matters going with this active passive approach.

Different sponges: Yeah, this should work, but have any free to carve up. Need to order some as I think this will be the best and most appropriate solution, but I'm curious what approach folks have used - i.e. all the sponge that will fit, or what. Also does this impact pump performance?

Filter floss: I ended up going this route and am putting it above the sponges. I'm not running enough to keep the media mix from separating, but enough to prevent the carbon from flowing out. I don't think this is the best thing in the long run due to it clogging from other solids in the water column, and because when i need to run GFO, it will separate out.

I'm pretty sure replacing the sponges will fix everything, but like I stated earlier, trying to get some wisdom on an appropriate fix.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back