Impeller for a 9430 Skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger,

Is it common for the impellers on these skimmer pumps to swell and split like this? It's been in service for a year, and wasn't like this when I cleaned it six months ago. I had noticed a decrease in performance of the skimmer, and this is likely the culprit. I had this issue on an old Euroreef that the 9430 replaced and had to replace the impeller every year like clockwork. The skimmer has otherwise performed like a champ so far....

IMG_20180519_191947288_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180519_192034843_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Tennsquire

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am aware of that, the impeller is for the new Sicce pumps, I was showing you that because that is what the new impellers looks like. I just got one from Rivko at Tunze for my Tunze 9420 pump. I would ask him if they have the new style impellers for your pump. My old 9420 impeller looked just like the one that you posted.

OP
OP
Tennsquire

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Thanks. They're a little pricey to have to replace every year. I take it that the new ones don't do this?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would call Roger at Tunze, sorry brain fart. The old have a plastic coating around a magnet material that will corrode and expand when the casing gets cracked, the new ones do not have a casing they use a material that does not corrode, that is what the theory is. Aqua Maxx was having the same problem and they switched to the new material and yes costly.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a much older impeller, the plastic coating was updated over 2 years ago and is much harder, if you bought it new less than 2 years ago, send me a copy of the receipt and we will send a replacement under warranty, otherwise I can discount a new one and it will likely last many years.

OP
OP
Tennsquire

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Roger. I'm pretty sure it was purchased more than two years ago. I bought it for a tank build that got postponed. When my Euroreef broke last year and couldn't be repaired, I put the 9430 in service since I had it on hand (and I like it a lot).

I would like to get a replacement impeller and appreciate the discount, as I expected for it to last longer than it did. Glad to hear that a fix has been implemented. I do need to order a few other things as well; how can I best do that?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a PM or email with what you need. Email is Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back