Imposter walt disney?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, and hear me out, the attributes, criteria, or standards by which named corals are identified are so vague and arbitrary that identification will always be at best an educated guess, one that is completely subjective and subject to things like confirmation bias (it would be better if your new coral is a ‘whatever trendy coral’, so the attributes which point in that direction are more heavily weighted).
Lol. Science names these corals by their Latin name and any butt clown who has a coral can name them whatever they want and sell it as such. Multiple importers import the same coral and name them different things. There is a standard for identification of corals, and while it may change some, it’s not as common as the trade names.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all made up designer names.......as an old salt, this is what drives me crazy, in your lighting it turns into a new coral called "Monkey Balls" ..........Genus, Species name is all that matters....Latin name identification.
Not Cartoon Names ....Rant over

Im at odds because as an old salt as well, I used to be very outspoken against "comic book" names as I call them as I put a lot of time and effort into learning all the genus and species/ coral taxonomy from the beginning of my participation of the hobby, however I have seen the hobby grow from the collectability of certain color morphs of genus/ species and their given collector names, esp in the past 5-10years.

In one of my other hobbies - insects / spiders/ tarantulas- if you use common names, esp on a discussion board- you will get flamed by pretty much everyone, but then with insects and spiders markings and coloration is fairly uniform within each species, with only a handful showing geographic color variations within the same species.

So I can see some value in naming different color morphs when it comes to the collective hobby aspect, over the years its grown on me and I can appreciate a clever "comic book" name or two.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at odds because as an old salt as well, I used to be very outspoken against "comic book" names as I call them as I put a lot of time and effort into learning all the genus and species/ coral taxonomy from the beginning of my participation of the hobby, however I have seen the hobby grow from the collectability of certain color morphs of genus/ species and their given collector names, esp in the past 5-10years.

In one of my other hobbies - insects / spiders/ tarantulas- if you use common names, esp on a discussion board- you will get flamed by pretty much everyone, but then with insects and spiders markings and coloration is fairly uniform within each species, with only a handful showing geographic color variations within the same species.

So I can see some value in naming different color morphs when it comes to the collective hobby aspect, over the years its grown on me and I can appreciate a cleaver "comic book" name or two.
I agree. I can definitely see some corals being given a “comic book name” if they have earned it. There are plenty of corals out there that have been around for many years that lots of people recognize. But most of these new “comic book names” are just someone trying to capitalize off of the trend and we end up with multiple corals called different names even though they are the same exact coral just grown under different conditions.

Back