Improvized small aquarium lighting

jiuchang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all, My father has a small aquarium that has been illuminated so far by a 15W fluorescent lamp. But I think there were some problems existed. The problem is that the ballast has broken (melted) after 2 years of use, and the only replacements I could find on my market (same, 1x18W) break after 1-2 hours of use. By "break" I mean they heat up, start melting, stop working. The melting always happens at the coil, which by the way looks just like a transformer, and probably is one, but only has 2 wires connected to it, while the second pair remains in the air (see attached photo).
paNnv.jpg

So, lacking any viable solution using classical fluorescent tubes, I thought about 2 options:

1. Find 2 sockets and install them, so they would fit 2 9W compact fluorescent lamps. But:
    • Are the built-in compact ballasts able to handle a relative humidity of ~70-80%?
    • Can they work in relatively closed spaces where temperatures might rise to up to 50 degrees Celsius (because of the energy output) during summer?
  2. I have a remarkably rich assortment of LEDs on my market, that is totally lacking fluorescent tube lighting accessories. So I thought about using LED lighting, but:
    • I've read that they are less efficient than fluorescent tubes, so I'd need then about 20W LED http://www.kynix.com/Detail/738157/LED.html
    • 20W LED would make even more heat, and where would that dissipate? Especially that I've read that LEDs work best below 40 degrees Celsius. I can find lots of single high power LEDs, and combined LED lamps, but the high power LEDs have no accessories to them, no radiator, no nothing.
    • I'm afraid of the "warm" light spectrum. I have plants that need UV light, and light sources that focus on "warm" light usually cut down on the blue and UV light, while fluorescent lamps peak at UV.
Maybe another option:
Is using a ballast with more power going to help? Or is that only going to fry my tube, while the cheap electronics inside the ballast is as likely to melt as the less powerful one? When I've read what ballasts do, I figured that since they are built for, say, 40W, then they would maintain a higher Voltage*Current for the lamp. Or is it actually a possible solution to my problem?
Thanks all guys!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you thought about the submersible led lights available on eBay? You could customize your spectrum. That would allow you to gut the hood completely and not be concerned with moisture in your lighting.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^yup^^

If you take a picture of the good we can probably find something that will fit inside.

Or something if you want to consider not using the hood.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back