I’m a dinosaur - looking for reef brite MH/LED clarity

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m contemplating a move over to MH/LED away from the radion xr15 G6 Pro I have now w 4 T5 to get back to the look I used to enjoy a decade ago.

250W MH mogul is fine w me. I want the LED strips for actinic pop. I’ll probably run a 14K bulb if that’s a thing still.

What I can’t seem to find:
1. A retailer that for sure has all items in stock
2. How are the LED strips powered? Do the pendants come with the needed power supply? Or is it powered by the MH ballast on a separate connection?
3. I see an Apex compatible cable - depending on question 2, I would love to have this to dim and ramp the LEDs, right? Or is there anything built in?
4. Which ballast do I need? I see some being called “digital” and others not. Are they equal or different?

What else should I consider? It feels like Reef Brite is the last man standing for MH…

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are looking at it backwards, what bulb do you want to run? That will help to figure what ballast to run. Electronic ballasts run cooler and not as loud, the halide ballast won’t run leds the leds would need their own ballast. The tech hasn’t changed any old reflectors or ballast still will work

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you are looking at it backwards, what bulb do you want to run? That will help to figure what ballast to run. Electronic ballasts run cooler and not as loud, the halide ballast won’t run leds the leds would need their own ballast. The tech hasn’t changed any old reflectors or ballast still will work
250w mogul or DE - whichever is most available. I just found the description that the LED power supplies are included w the pendant, so that helps. Just have to get 2 of the cables to control/dim the LEDs.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 Don't know.

#2 Usually leds have a separate dedicated power supply or driver but it's possible they are internal to the fixture.

#3 Dimming control depends on the drivers, many are not Apex controllable

#4 What YOYOYOReefer said.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premium Aquatics sells reef brite, email or call them for more info availability. If they have bulbs, stock up.

If you can find used MH and cosmetics are not an issue you can add led bars after.

Here’s a not so happy read

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see - on question 4, I meant specifically the reef brite ballasts. The descriptions aren’t as clear as I prefer.
Call John at Hamilton Tech he'll have everything on your list.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w mogul or DE - whichever is most available. I just found the description that the LED power supplies are included w the pendant, so that helps. Just have to get 2 of the cables to control/dim the LEDs.
bulbs there are 2 types
Probe Start - Used with bulbs that have an internal ignitor. Some have difficultly lighting euro bulbs.

Pulse Start - Used with bulbs that have no internal ignitor or euro bulbs. Pulse start ballasts can light both probe and pulse bulbs.

There are some differences in driving voltage/power. A pulse start ballast will typically result in a higher PAR, however it's not always the case. For example, the XM20k 400w bulb puts out higher PAR with a probe ballast.

Electronic ballasts are much more expensive. While they may be more efficient than mag ballasts, the price is much higher. It may take years and years to realize any savings due to efficiency.

Mag ballasts are larger, run hotter, and may hum. Electronic ballasts are cooler and quiet, but some emit a large amount of RF/EMI

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premium Aquatics sells reef brite, email or call them for more info availability. If they have bulbs, stock up.

If you can find used MH and cosmetics are not an issue you can add led bars after.

Here’s a not so happy read

Fortunately this read is without merit as BRS, Hamilton Tech and others have said that they are unaware of anything of the sort as this time. I have a feeling they know more about the situation then the op of that thread. Oh wait there is no situation.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you can find some locally if there is any fb pages or local reef clubs.. just get yourself a ballast and reflector with bulb… double ended bulbs are what I use but getting hard to find compared to moguls.. as for the reef brites “Xho leds” they have their own ballast and can be dimmed through a apex with their dimmer box and 1-10v cable.
IMG_1371.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m sure you can find some locally if there is any fb pages or local reef clubs.. just get yourself a ballast and reflector with bulb… double ended bulbs are what I use but getting hard to find compared to moguls.. as for the reef brites “Xho leds” they have their own ballast and can be dimmed through a apex with their dimmer box and 1-10v cable.
IMG_1371.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
Finding anything local is proving difficult. I’m going to head to the LFS and see if they have anything in the bargain bin aka used section later this week, though. I’d happily do that vs paying $800 for a new setup haha.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately this read is without merit as BRS, Hamilton Tech and others have said that they are unaware of anything of the sort as this time. I have a feeling they know more about the situation then the op of that thread. Oh wait there is no situation.
Interesting Jump on BRS, Hamilton, Champion lighting, Premium Aquatics, EBay etc. See what they have available for metal halide fixtures and try a few different bulbs to see which ones you like best.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent pm with link to used gear, it’s not mine and I don’t know the seller, don’t think I can post the link here

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding anything local is proving difficult. I’m going to head to the LFS and see if they have anything in the bargain bin aka used section later this week, though. I’d happily do that vs paying $800 for a new setup haha.
I lit my tank for $40 with all the halides haha! The reefbrites were a grip thou!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the OP, contact RB directly and they'll help you out with finding stock. Also, I would just get the pendants and add your own LED bars/strips. I use Quanto Pro Meso Blue bars with my 14k 250w RB's and the combo is awesome. I use Hamilton bulbs, but I'm currently using some Chinese bulbs, which are actually pretty good, especially for the money. I bought 4 bulbs shipped for $75. One of the bulbs didn't fire up and I emailed the seller and they replaced the bulb without question and this was months after I purchased the bulbs. To me, the XHO's are worth it and that money is better spent on quality fixtures/bars.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, contact RB directly and they'll help you out with finding stock. Also, I would just get the pendants and add your own LED bars/strips. I use Quanto Pro Meso Blue bars with my 14k 250w RB's and the combo is awesome. I use Hamilton bulbs, but I'm currently using some Chinese bulbs, which are actually pretty good, especially for the money. I bought 4 bulbs shipped for $75. One of the bulbs didn't fire up and I emailed the seller and they replaced the bulb without question and this was months after I purchased the bulbs. To me, the XHO's are worth it and that money is better spent on quality fixtures/bars.
Xho don’t look like much but I can tell you currently my three 250w mh with phoenix 14k bulbs don’t over power them! I still get a nice pop with them and the par they put out is better than my radion xr15’s lol.. I’m hitting 175 at 12” down in my water and 70ish in the sand bed at 24” deep with just my Xho on.. that’s why I sold my radions haha!

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have either T5 OR MH along with LED's you cannot do better. No need to go back to 100% old school. I can guarantee that.

Attachments

• 20230930_094758.jpg
    20230930_094758.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220306_141020.jpg
    20220306_141020.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As long as you have either T5 OR MH along with LED's you cannot do better. No need to go back to 100% old school. I can guarantee that.
I am quite certain that LED can be successful and largely is nowadays. My issue is I miss the shimmer and depth of MH.

I think my color issues may be turning a corner. Nothing breathtaking or fast happening, but maybe in 7-8 weeks I’ll start to see some original colors come back. If that happens, I might consider sticking w what I have.

I know 100% that I had tremendous success w MH a decade+ ago though. That’s what I miss as well.

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kessil 360X's on my tanks that I want a similar MH shimmer, banked by T5 s. On thanks I don't mind less shimmer I use Ecotech G6's banked by T5's.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back