MH & T5 (using a retro kit) - DIY Mounting - Ideas Wanted.

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2019
Messages
97
Reaction score
42
Location
Oakville, On
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 250W Cayman Sun MH with a 50/50 and Actinic 24" Reef brite XHO strips.

I like how the RB mounts to the tank (40G IO Cube), but honestly think I'd prefer a MH/T5 combo....especially since I have a box full of ATI bulbs collecting dust. I'm looking at buying the T5 retro kit below, but just not sure how to mount them. Perhaps I'll build a custom canopy made of wood that would rest on top of the tank, while keeping the top open and mount the T5 fixture in the front and back. I'm just wondering if the spread of the T6 will suck. Ideally, I'd like something than is curved like the older Giesemann Spectra Fixtures

Just wondering if anyone if anyone has any idea how best to mount these lights... open to suggestions.

thanks!
1702439977125.png
 
Currently running 250W Cayman Sun MH with a 50/50 and Actinic 24" Reef brite XHO strips.

I like how the RB mounts to the tank (40G IO Cube), but honestly think I'd prefer a MH/T5 combo....especially since I have a box full of ATI bulbs collecting dust. I'm looking at buying the T5 retro kit below, but just not sure how to mount them. Perhaps I'll build a custom canopy made of wood that would rest on top of the tank, while keeping the top open and mount the T5 fixture in the front and back. I'm just wondering if the spread of the T6 will suck. Ideally, I'd like something than is curved like the older Giesemann Spectra Fixtures

Just wondering if anyone if anyone has any idea how best to mount these lights... open to suggestions.

thanks!
1702439977125.png
Fun vid.

As to the curve part.. I'd just use shims to angle the bulbs "in" a bit if you can't just rotate the reflectors...
 
If you are handy, make a frame out of one of the types of aluminum like T slot or T track. Then, mount the frame.

You can angle the reflectors and the T5s towards the middle.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new