Mounting Lights to Ceiling (Drywall with no Studs near) Guide and Experience

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, looking for some anecdotal stuff as well as sharing my own guide to help myself and others hang their lights, specifically my Aquatic life T5/LED Hybrid 48" fixture with 2 Ai Hydra 26hd. I have bought a high quality metal/wood stud finder and had no luck anywhere near the tank, so, I got to researching.

For anyone else interested, here is a pretty handy Drywall Contractor breaking down the weight limits of each type of Ceiling Anchors

Ceiling Drywall/Sheetrock Anchor Test (EZ Anchor-Toggler) How many lbs will they hold? - YouTube

Here is someone using this same method to mount the Photon V2+, weighing in at 12.5 lbs

Getting LED's Ceiling Mounted - YouTube

My fixture and Led's specifically will weigh 19.8lbs, which will be plenty easy to support on 2 toggle bolts with eye hooks. I will use a drill bit to get the hole large enough like the previous videos, using an eye hook modification in my Aquatic Life ceiling kit, and I should be good to go.

Hope this helps other people solve their worries and concerns when trying to hang their lights with no studs, no need to rush it and ruin your ceiling drywall or expensive lights without the right knowledge resources.

Your Local Ace Hardware will have the individual toggle bolt wings and the eye hooks to create your own toggle bolts for the hanging fixture.

Hillman 1/4 inch in. Dia. x 1/4 in. L Round Zinc-Plated Steel Toggle Wing 100 pk - Ace Hardware

Take out the bolt if one comes with yours and swap with this

Hampton Small Zinc-Plated Silver Zinc 1 in. L J-Bolt 375 lb. 1 pk - Ace Hardware

Attached are some nice Ceiling Kits with the necessary hardware for light kits

Ceiling Mount Cover System - White - Aquatic Life - Bulk Reef Supply

and the wires

T5 Hybrid Suspension Cables - Aquatic Life - Bulk Reef Supply

Hope this helps!

Snapchat-84563254.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, looking for some anecdotal stuff as well as sharing my own guide to help myself and others hang their lights, specifically my Aquatic life T5/LED Hybrid 48" fixture with 2 Ai Hydra 26hd. I have bought a high quality metal/wood stud finder and had no luck anywhere near the tank, so, I got to researching.

For anyone else interested, here is a pretty handy Drywall Contractor breaking down the weight limits of each type of Ceiling Anchors

Ceiling Drywall/Sheetrock Anchor Test (EZ Anchor-Toggler) How many lbs will they hold? - YouTube

Here is someone using this same method to mount the Photon V2+, weighing in at 12.5 lbs

Getting LED's Ceiling Mounted - YouTube

My fixture and Led's specifically will weigh 19.8lbs, which will be plenty easy to support on 2 toggle bolts with eye hooks. I will use a drill bit to get the hole large enough like the previous videos, using an eye hook modification in my Aquatic Life ceiling kit, and I should be good to go.

Hope this helps other people solve their worries and concerns when trying to hang their lights with no studs, no need to rush it and ruin your ceiling drywall or expensive lights without the right knowledge resources.

Your Local Ace Hardware will have the individual toggle bolt wings and the eye hooks to create your own toggle bolts for the hanging fixture.

Hillman 1/4 inch in. Dia. x 1/4 in. L Round Zinc-Plated Steel Toggle Wing 100 pk - Ace Hardware

Take out the bolt if one comes with yours and swap with this

Hampton Small Zinc-Plated Silver Zinc 1 in. L J-Bolt 375 lb. 1 pk - Ace Hardware

Attached are some nice Ceiling Kits with the necessary hardware for light kits

Ceiling Mount Cover System - White - Aquatic Life - Bulk Reef Supply

and the wires

T5 Hybrid Suspension Cables - Aquatic Life - Bulk Reef Supply

Hope this helps!

Snapchat-84563254.jpg
Good info and thanks for posting such a detailed rundown for other who might beat their heads on the wall otherwise.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back