Hanging a lighting fixture

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just hung a 24" Giesemann MH/T5 lighting fixture from my drywall ceiling, using two 3" long, 3/16" diameter toggle bolts. I believe each bolt is rated to hold 150 lbs and my fixture weighs 25. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hang the fixture using the studs (and the ceiling is unaccessible from above) so using these bolts seemed like the best solution.

Any thoughts on whether this solution is safe? My only other option is to add some sort or decorative "beam" that I secure to the studs and then mount the lighting fixture to. I'd prefer not to do this both visually and because my tank is already in place and accessing the ceiling properly isn't that easy.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to invest in some drywall anchors or ceiling specific anchors if you can't get into a stud.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe toggle bolts are ceiling specific anchors. They have wings that open behind the wall making them more stable than traditional anchors that sumply screw into the wall. They look like this

upload_2017-10-31_10-16-21.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe toggle bolts are ceiling specific anchors. They have wings that open behind the wall making them more stable than traditional anchors that sumply screw into the wall. They look like this

upload_2017-10-31_10-16-21.png
That's what I was talking about, the metal one's have always been more reliable for me when I have used them in the past. I've helped my grandmother install some before for flower pots and they've held up pretty well over the years.

I would just keep an eye on them from time to time to make sure they aren't wiggling and causing the integrity of the drywall around them to break apart. If your fixture stays still and nothing like a cat sits on top of it, you should be fine.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was talking about, the metal one's have always been more reliable for me when I have used them in the past. I've helped my grandmother install some before for flower pots and they've held up pretty well over the years.

I would just keep an eye on them from time to time to make sure they aren't wiggling and causing the integrity of the drywall around them to break apart. If your fixture stays still and nothing like a cat sits on top of it, you should be fine.

No cats planned!

Back