MH & T5 (using a retro kit) - DIY Mounting - Ideas Wanted.

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 250W Cayman Sun MH with a 50/50 and Actinic 24" Reef brite XHO strips.

I like how the RB mounts to the tank (40G IO Cube), but honestly think I'd prefer a MH/T5 combo....especially since I have a box full of ATI bulbs collecting dust. I'm looking at buying the T5 retro kit below, but just not sure how to mount them. Perhaps I'll build a custom canopy made of wood that would rest on top of the tank, while keeping the top open and mount the T5 fixture in the front and back. I'm just wondering if the spread of the T6 will suck. Ideally, I'd like something than is curved like the older Giesemann Spectra Fixtures

Just wondering if anyone if anyone has any idea how best to mount these lights... open to suggestions.

thanks!
1702439977125.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 250W Cayman Sun MH with a 50/50 and Actinic 24" Reef brite XHO strips.

I like how the RB mounts to the tank (40G IO Cube), but honestly think I'd prefer a MH/T5 combo....especially since I have a box full of ATI bulbs collecting dust. I'm looking at buying the T5 retro kit below, but just not sure how to mount them. Perhaps I'll build a custom canopy made of wood that would rest on top of the tank, while keeping the top open and mount the T5 fixture in the front and back. I'm just wondering if the spread of the T6 will suck. Ideally, I'd like something than is curved like the older Giesemann Spectra Fixtures

Just wondering if anyone if anyone has any idea how best to mount these lights... open to suggestions.

thanks!
1702439977125.png
Fun vid.

As to the curve part.. I'd just use shims to angle the bulbs "in" a bit if you can't just rotate the reflectors...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are handy, make a frame out of one of the types of aluminum like T slot or T track. Then, mount the frame.

You can angle the reflectors and the T5s towards the middle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back