OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have put the sump back in service. To my delight, it is working as expected. No bubbles in the refugium.
IMG_7457.JPG

I have also added my old Vertex in-100 skimmer. Unfortunately, this skimmer is much louder than I remember. Lots of vibration and noise from the air suction. I am considering trying to quiet it down or I may just use a different skimmer. Will run it at night and weekends when I'm not in the office for now.
IMG_7456.JPG

I also decided to drill and tap a hole for 1-1/4" plug in the first drain chamber. I didn't make the top removable over this chamber and had no way to fish anything out of the chamber that may end up stuck inside. So, now I will be able to unscrew the plug to access the chamber.
IMG_7458.JPG

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went down to the local plastic shop and picked up some polycarbonate from the scrap pile. Cost $5 and only used half of it to make 4 lids for my sump and top off res.

IMG_7478.JPG

They fit great. Over sized the lid a 1/4" and routed an 1/8" rabbit so it fits down in the opening and is held up by the lip.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome scape!!! Is this going to be SPS dominated?

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome scape!!! Is this going to be SPS dominated?
That is the plan at the moment. getting really close to adding coral. I want to wrap up the wiring in the sump before going crazy. If I don't do the cable management now I won't ever get to it. So, my reward after cleaning up is stocking the tank!

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some changes to my Maxspect Razor. I wanted to reduce the direct LED light and create more indirect light. So I decided to make LED covers more like a diffuser. I cut some of the scrap polycarbonate to size, sanded then sprayed it with Rust-Oleum frosted glass.
IMG_7499.JPG
IMG_7500.JPG

These are the original 120* reflectors.
IMG_7496.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG

This is my new cover

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

I still think the tank is getting plenty of light and it has greatly reduced the disco effect and shadowing. So far I'm liking it.
IMG_7486.JPG

The iPhone makes it look more blue then it really is. Looks much better in person.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video is to show the shimmer. The shimmer is more subtle since I frosted the LED covers. Shot on iPhone 6. Color not a great representation of the actual color.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice idea! Do you have any before and after par values?

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea! Do you have any before and after par values?
@revhtree i don't have any par values. I have wondered what the difference is as well. Since I was running the light at about 60% before, I'm not too worried about it. If I can get my hands on a par meter at some point, I will post the results. If you know of someone in the San Diego area that would like to get some use out of their par meter have them contact me. ;)

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am finally getting a diatom bloom. It started the end of last week. Excuse the cloudy water. I just got done blowing off the rocks with a turkey baster

IMG_7559.JPG
IMG_7555.JPG
IMG_7557.JPG

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Converted one of my Avast reactors to a kalk reactor. Lowes had 1/2" mpt x 1/4" push connect fittings. I used 3 with a 1/2" threaded coupler. Also picked up 1/4" od plastic tubing from local plastic shop. I was going to use 1/4" push connect check valve but drilled a hole in the coupler as a siphon break. It has worked well, so, no need for the check valve.
IMG_7590.JPG

IMG_7591.JPG

You can see in the above pic the water level in the ATO container is below the water level in the reactor.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some changes to my Vertex in-100 skimmer. Picked up a DC2000 with pinwheel impeller. Also, modified a 3" coupler to extend the skimmer neck.
IMG_7612.JPG
IMG_7613.JPG

Having some difficulty though and I'm not sure if it's the pump or something else.

I'm not sure what is causing the bubble level to fluctuate up and down.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7611.JPG
IMG_7623.JPG
IMG_7624.JPG
IMG_7629.JPG

It appears to be breaking in well. The bubble level is steady and the pump is relatively quiet. I should be able to get some more use out of this old Vertex in-100 skimmer.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!
I am still working on the cable/wire management. This is what I am thinking of doing.
IMG_7679.JPG

I picked up under cabinet cookbook shelf hinges. I am thinking of attaching the controllers to a sheet of acrylic and creating a box underneath to run the wires in and out to the power supply. The hinges would be attached to the top inside of the cabinet. When I want to access the controllers the shelf will pull down. When not needed it will tuck back up.
IMG_7682.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I contemplate the wiring I also set up my QT.
IMG_7672.JPG
IMG_7677.JPG
IMG_7678.JPG

Looking forward to the new additions.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't seeing much growth with the current freshwater light so I picked up this grow light to try out.

IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7691.JPG

Hoping to see better results over the next 2 weeks.

I put the current light over the QT.

image.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back