In a seahorse tank, Where do the hydroids come from?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm fairly new to seahorses, and I've got a 3g tank with 9 dwarf seahorses (7 adults, 2 babies). No problems yet, but one thing I keep reading over and over is the high probability of a hydroid infestation. Why? Where are they coming from? I'm reading that it's because they love the bbs, which I certainly am feeding. But where are they coming from initially? I'd like to know so I can plan accordingly and do my best to keep them from my system.

Tank info.
3g cube, no filter, air stone for flow.
Oolite sand, was dry and rinsed until clear.
Some rooted seaweed/grass of some sort. I didn't get a name for it.
Small handful of well seasoned rubble from another tank.
One micro hermit and one tiny nassarius, plus a few tiny colonista snails.
IMG_20231027_073705560.jpg

Feeding fresh hatched bbs every day, and about every 3 days do a good vacuum of the substrate getting as much of the pony poo and extra brine shrimp as I can. Then I scoop out as much of the extra shrimps that I can that are swimming, basically trying to remove all the uneaten shrimps, since there is no mechanical filtering. Then a water change. And then fresh bbs.

I do not have hydroids in any of my tanks, that I know of. All the things that are going into thier tank have been observed in other tanks prior to introduction. I'm trying to keep their tank free from pests, but at the same time not totally sterile so there is a biome there. I am seasoning a small rock arch I made for the tank in my main tank, but I have a wrasse, tang and urchin that are keeping it algea and pest free.

One baby was born in shipment and the next the day after arriving. Both have gotten much bigger and are thriving so what I'm doing they must like. All very active and constantly eating. Babies are bbs eating machines!
IMG_20231027_073742867.jpg
IMG_20231027_073818002.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
free swimming hydroids ?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm fairly new to seahorses, and I've got a 3g tank with 9 dwarf seahorses (7 adults, 2 babies). No problems yet, but one thing I keep reading over and over is the high probability of a hydroid infestation. Why? Where are they coming from? I'm reading that it's because they love the bbs, which I certainly am feeding. But where are they coming from initially? I'd like to know so I can plan accordingly and do my best to keep them from my system.

Tank info.
3g cube, no filter, air stone for flow.
Oolite sand, was dry and rinsed until clear.
Some rooted seaweed/grass of some sort. I didn't get a name for it.
Small handful of well seasoned rubble from another tank.
One micro hermit and one tiny nassarius, plus a few tiny colonista snails.
IMG_20231027_073705560.jpg

Feeding fresh hatched bbs every day, and about every 3 days do a good vacuum of the substrate getting as much of the pony poo and extra brine shrimp as I can. Then I scoop out as much of the extra shrimps that I can that are swimming, basically trying to remove all the uneaten shrimps, since there is no mechanical filtering. Then a water change. And then fresh bbs.

I do not have hydroids in any of my tanks, that I know of. All the things that are going into thier tank have been observed in other tanks prior to introduction. I'm trying to keep their tank free from pests, but at the same time not totally sterile so there is a biome there. I am seasoning a small rock arch I made for the tank in my main tank, but I have a wrasse, tang and urchin that are keeping it algea and pest free.

One baby was born in shipment and the next the day after arriving. Both have gotten much bigger and are thriving so what I'm doing they must like. All very active and constantly eating. Babies are bbs eating machines!
IMG_20231027_073742867.jpg
IMG_20231027_073818002.jpg
Have you read this?

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read this?

Wow that was a good reply to a question!

So it sounds like even if I very carefully qt and clean anything that goes into the tank, it's possible to still introduce hydroids through the brine shrimp eggs themselves.

I guess it's a good possibility at some point I'll see them, so I'm thinking it's best to just be ready. I'll identify the best place to buy the dewormer (if/when needed). I'm in a farm town so that would be do-able. I bet the harder part is the math on how much for the small volume, but if I run into this issue I'll make a post then.

Thank you @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal for the link!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back