Hydroids, how they come to be?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone, so this is simply a curiosity question here. I was reading earlier about hydroids on some zoa’s. My question is how does one get them? Is it something that must be introduced somehow into a tank? Once there, how do you get rid of them? I don’t have them, just curious.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone, so this is simply a curiosity question here. I was reading earlier about hydroids on some zoa’s. My question is how does one get them? Is it something that must be introduced somehow into a tank? Once there, how do you get rid of them? I don’t have them, just curious.
Hydroids are pretty ubiquitous creatures that easily hide away on frags (the colonial ones people have trouble with). The problem with them is that they're very enigmatic. In most cases, they melt or don't really grow in someone's tank, but in tanks they like they reproduce at a blistering and uncontrollable rate. The only real way to "beat" them if they grow well in your tank is a never ending manual removal cycle, restarting the tank, or some butterflyfish are known to munch them (especially the less reef safe ones)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how does one get them? Is it something that must be introduced somehow into a tank? Once there, how do you get rid of them?
Yeah, like all hitchhikers, they have to be introduced somehow - they can come in as polyps or medusae (think pod-sized jellyfish).

For getting rid of them:
Agreed with hydroids:
I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, but here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful:
These may help:

Edit: A relevant link in post 7 of the link above:

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids are pretty ubiquitous creatures that easily hide away on frags (the colonial ones people have trouble with). The problem with them is that they're very enigmatic. In most cases, they melt or don't really grow in someone's tank, but in tanks they like they reproduce at a blistering and uncontrollable rate. The only real way to "beat" them if they grow well in your tank is a never ending manual removal cycle, restarting the tank, or some butterflyfish are known to munch them (especially the less reef safe ones)
Ahh, got ya! So, if they come in on coral frags, will dipping the coral get rid of them? I always dip corals before they go in my tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, got ya! So, if they come in on coral frags, will dipping the coral get rid of them? I always dip corals before they go in my tank.
No. Nothing short of manually removing the hydroids and their "roots" will get rid of them (for colonial hydroids, that is)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back