How are you achieving proper flow in your tank?

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about maybe putting one up high on the overflow and one middle and shooting water out. Both horizontal.

Or have both of them vertical on the corner of the overflow in the middle and shooting water from there. The xf350s has really good directional capability.

I don’t mind the gyre on the end too much. If WWC does it for their sps tank, I think I can do it too :)

I have a 6ft peninsula with an xf350 opposite the overflow. It doesn’t really bother me aesthetically, but I would be fine without it (and have all my pumps on the overflow end) if not for all the scum and detritus that seems to collect on the surface of the water!

I need that pump on the very end to make sure the gunk gets pushed all the way back to the overflow to find its way to the sump.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I aim to have as much flow as possible without creating a sandstorm 24/7. I'm fine with sand building up and bare spots throughout the tank, just don't want it blowing around everywhere.

I've got a variety of gyre pumps and wave makers throughout my systems.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
palm-trees-seagrass-and-the-ecosystem.gif
As long as my corals, don’t look like this

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 ZKSJ Slim Pros that have an app so I can control them....I run random mode at 40% one on each side of the glass, but opposite of each other. I also have 2 Sicce Nanos on the back glass pointing upwards, but not all the way up....on a 40GB.

Video:

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my old standard 120 I ran 6 powerheads to get good random flow.
On my new build, 60×30×22, I will be using 2 sea sweeps with Tunze 6255's. I did not want a bunch of powerheads and cords in the euro braced tank on this build.
For those who dont know the sweeps rotate 90° back and forth slowly.
You cant run a wave or pulse mode but its not needed.
Check them out!
I used to have a Seaswirl on my old thank. I love them! The sea sweeps are dang pricy now though. Everything got super expensive in the last 5-10 years. The hobby has become extremely expensive. Such is life i guess, but Sea Sweeps rock for sure.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 3 foot tank, I have 2 nero3 and 1 nero 5, all on pulse so that only one is on at a time. I get plenty of random flow throughout the tank that picks up all the crap and sends it down the overflow. Corals get a nice alternating blast every 6 seconds before it changes to another unit. In my opinion, don't be afraid to make your corals wave back and forth. That's what they are looking for. Long as they're not hanging on for dear life, it's fine. The more flow, the better.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With flow being an important aspect of our reef tanks, it got me thinking, "how does everyone achieve good flow"? So my question for everyone is how are you achieving good flow in your tanks? Curious to see what everyone says!
In my Proclear 60 I have 3 Nero threes 1 on the upper side wall close to the front the power setting is higher than the 2 that are on the back wall about halfway down on low power keeps the corals flowing and happy

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tall 56 gallon tank. I have 400 gph coming from the return. I have a nano turbelle 6041 (I think that's the model) blowing on a large coral skeleton structure to keep detritus out of it. That is probably 1200 gph. And finally I just bought a Carefree Fish DC Wave Maker that I am only running at 30% which is also about 1200 gph. It's a lot of turnover on a 56 gallon but the height helps divert some to the surface for oxygenation so the coral are not blasted. Everything seems happy which is what I really gauge by.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back