What do you consider your greatest achievement in reef keeping?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some people, their greatest achievement when it comes to reef keeping could simply be starting their tank, for others it might be getting livestock in a tank to flourish. I am wondering what to you is your greatest reefing achievement. Curious to see what everyone says!

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was totally against having to dose as I just thought it was too time consuming. So I just kept up with weekly water changes and didn't attempt to keep SPS. Well I started dosing All for Reef 3 months ago and haven't done a water change since! And I'm able to keep SPS now and my corals are flourishing. :smiling-face-with-tear:

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was totally against having to dose as I just thought it was too time consuming. So I just kept up with weekly water changes and didn't attempt to keep SPS. Well I started dosing All for Reef 3 months ago and haven't done a water change since! And I'm able to keep SPS now and my corals are flourishing. :smiling-face-with-tear:
you dont have to do water changes if you dose?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my greatest achievement is starting my tank the week the hobby started in the US and it is still running. I did change the glass 3 times in those 52 years. It will be 53 years old next month. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My greatest achievement from my perspective is raising about 7 clownfish up to juvenile age, when they could be given away and 16 seahorse fry to young adult age (4-5 months) and train them to eat frozen mysis until they could be sold. Both required me to raise live food that was bacteria free and rigorous plus keeping the fry themselves in a very clean environment.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my greatest achievement was getting into the hobby. i've found a great sense of peace or serenity when either tinkering with my tank or observing it. granted, doing so, at times i do find myself adding extra stress/concern to myself. like when i continuously find that my hermit crabs keep knocking things over in my tank like my clams, or literally knocking over frags off the frag rack or even off the plug itself, and forcing me to re-glue it lol.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have ~3 years under my belt of reefing, but for now it would be setting up a new tank and having it run successfully due to being able to apply the many lessons I learned on my last one.
ohh pretty tank what is that coral in bottom center? its beautiful. is that a an elegance?

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Aquarium Frontiers Tank of the Month award way back in May 1998 for my 240 gallon SPS dominated tank. Most colonies were bought from Steve Tyree.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back