What cleanup crew (cuc) inverts do you refuse to keep in your reef aquarium?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a small blue legged hermit for probably 10 years with no problems. I also have nassarius snails, a couple bee snails and an Atlantic cucumber. I feed frozen daily along with flake/pellets daily and this clean up crew do a great job. I do stay away from snails that will try to crawl out of the tank although I have a pretty tight cover.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't have any problem with hermits crabs in my Tank.
I got Blue, Zebras, Red legs hermit crabs, Scarlet hermits. I could said that it took me several restocking until they got a nice balanced population without any predatory behavior for shells, so far so good. At the beginning as they grow they will seek for a replacement shell. I would say that one of them kill a tiger conch obviously in the need for a bigger "RV"... buajajajaja!
But no brainer there, I replaced the conch and life keeps going as normal (all the empty shells stays in the tank, for the next hermit in need) . Sometimes I see them on my corals and gorgonias like picking, but when I pay a closer look they are actually doing their job, cleaning up the area of algae, that the corals and their polyps reside for a while... "Absolutely" . But is a natural response.

For others crabs , I don't have any because, I don't need them at this point in time to balance the ecosystem biodiversity. About Snail , I got a healthy and varied stock of them, from Limpets to Conch and everything in between. Some how with time and patience all of them got a well balanced population, that I haven't restock in few years. Some of them survive the infamous Tank Crash and neglected period, but that's a story for another day.
20240317_014326.jpg
20230708_004025.jpg
20240316_202223.jpg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No crabs for me.
Small hermit crabs are probably the best CUC for hair algae in jagged rock crevices but I don't keep them any more just due to snail predation (even though it never got too bad for me, but still).

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cucumber. I would be worried about one dying and nuking the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back