Clean up crew

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the best cleanup crews you have in your reef tank? Thinking about adding some into the tank to combat the ugly phase or at least help out when I’m not cleaning things myself

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on what is going on with your ugly phase. I had tons of green hair algae. Got about 8 turbos and it was mostly gone. Blue legged hermit crabs are good all around. I like a deep sand bed, So sand sifting starfish, and lots of conch roam my tanks.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top pick for a clean up crew, is a cleaner shrimp. While they don't really help the ugly phase, they help in many other ways. Some great options for a CUC that help with the ugly stage are:

Nassarius snails
Blue legged hermits
Tiger conch
Sand sifting starfish
Turbo snails

There are many other options, but these are some of my favorites. These all depend on tank size, and features. Do your research, and best of luck!

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my favorite crab, scarlet hermit crabs, they clean well and look awesome. I love turbo snails for snails and my newest favorite general helper is a tiger conch, they are amazing and really funny how they move and eat.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dealing with some long green hair algae in my 40 gallon softie tank. Got a single small emerald crab and it is mostly gone now. It’s amazing how quickly he’s made it happen too. Yes, you have to be careful with emeralds and sometimes they do go rogue but this has been amazing.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal votes:
- Nassarius snails for sandbed (detritus)
- Trochus snails for general/broad areas (algae)

*Blue legged hermit crabs are great for GHA in rock pockets but I don't keep hermits for other, specific reasons anymore

Honorable mentions:
- Tuxedo or pincushion urchin but there's some CONs, especially if you ever have loose frags
- Conch for silly/fun factor (I like tiger sand conch but others are cool too)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rock, in order of the best, tuxedo urchin, turbo sails, trochus snails, emerald crabs, dwarf red and blue legged hermits, ceriths snails and ninja star snails. Remember you need to manually keep gha short for them to eat it.
Sandbed, tiger conches and nassarius snails. Also a big shout out to my diamond watchman goby!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back