When to add Clean Up Crew

Islander722

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2026
Messages
48
Reaction score
27
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 15gal AIO, fully cycled and two clowns added over a week ago. I keep reading about an impending “ugly phase” and would like to be ready to fight it.
I am not seeing any algae growth yet but was looking for any guidance on when to start adding clean up crew?
 
When there's food for a CUC, start adding a CUC. Adding crabs/shrimp/snails with no food simply means you'd have to feed them. Nori sheets, algae wafers, etc for the herbivores.

With the clowns, you can add some of the snails o hermits that eat detritus and algae both since there's already poop and uneaten food that's starting to build up.
 
When there's food for a CUC, start adding a CUC. Adding crabs/shrimp/snails with no food simply means you'd have to feed them. Nori sheets, algae wafers, etc for the herbivores.

With the clowns, you can add some of the snails o hermits that eat detritus and algae both since there's already poop and uneaten food that's starting to build up.
Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new