Macroalgae clean up crew?

  • Thread starter Thread starter caveman28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

caveman28

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, as the title states i'm looking for a clean up crew that'll be safe with macroalgaes in a 20 gallon
so far i have red grape algae, gracilaria hayi, feather caulerpa, caulerpa prolifera, and some augophyllum wysorii. i plan to have like 1 or 2 soft corals along with those macros but i havent decided what yet.
I'm open to any suggestions and advice!
 
I have snails and hermits in my macro algae tank, and some mushrooms. I also added an aquaman monti, I'm hoping to encrust my entire rockwork in it.
 
Noted. I was hesitant with adding hermits because i kept getting conflicting info regarding their compatibility with macroalgae. Is it mainly just blue legs that are safe for macros crabwise?
Also What kind of snails? I've Heard some cant flip themselves over and i wouldnt want a snail to die like that and start spiking ammonia.
Also what about sifting the sand or turning over the sandbed to aerate it?
And last question, will any shrimp actually help in cleaning or are they mainly just pretty to have in the tank?
I personally dont want xenia or GSP as i'd rather not have them cover everything even if GSP is absolutely beautiful.
Sorry for the question spam lol, i want all the information i can get
 
Most smaller hermits are totally safe with macro, once you get into the larger ones (Halloween, thin stripe) you test your luck a bit. I personally love dwarf ceriths and regular ceriths as my main snail population (the dwarfs can actually climb on the macros to clean them) with one or two trochus snails to get the real gritty stuff. All three species can flip themselves over.

Shrimp are awesome, but don't do too much for algae usually.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new