What fish or inverts are living in your sump?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m curious about those of you who keep fish or inverts in your sump. What is it and why are they living in your sump? Maybe they don’t play nice with others or were bullied? Perhaps a cleanup crew? I’m getting my very own sump and I’m so excited to have my first sump to call my own. And am curious to see what others have/ideas. Maybe I’ll use it to house ghost shrimp/Hewbie food. (Excluding pods and refugiums which are a given for many)

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp, several snails, conch, clam, brittle stars, pods, crab that came with my live rock, I can't remember all. I run a 40 breeder refugium as my sump with only a skimmer used mostly for oxygenation and pH control.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just removed a blue throat trigger, my sump is beside my tank and he jumped an hit the sump. I have tons of bristle worms pods a few snails iand cheato
Well he’s a lucky fish then! He’d be covered in dust if that wasn’t there.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if you ever got the tank at your school taken care of?????????????

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have/had a baby Molly almost an inch long now, that was born in the tank and as a fry made it alive down the overflow, and into the sump due to a blocked filter sock.

It survived TWO trips through the return pump and back to the filter sock, then dumped back into the sump.

Using potential past tense as I haven’t seen it for a couple days… worried it took another ride through the return and got turned into fish food.

Also have a bunch of minuscule snails, that seem to just be tiny snails rather than babies. They’re like 1/16” across max. No idea where they came from.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about those of you who keep fish or inverts in your sump. What is it and why are they living in your sump? Maybe they don’t play nice with others or were bullied? Perhaps a cleanup crew? I’m getting my very own sump and I’m so excited to have my first sump to call my own. And am curious to see what others have/ideas. Maybe I’ll use it to house ghost shrimp/Hewbie food. (Excluding pods and refugiums which are a given for many)
One old cranky blue leg hermit that doesn't play well with others.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep "Jacques" (my daughter named him), a cleaner shrimp, in the sump of my Reefer 625. If I had him in my reef, my Blue Throat Trigger would probably eat him, and he seems happy down there with a small clay pot for cover and a feeding every couple of days.

I kept my Mandarin down there for 8 weeks while training him to eat frozen food. That worked well too. It was small and low flow, which was perfect for training. But eventually he had to migrate to the big tank above, and he's done well since.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clownfish in there as a time out

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is jail. Current inmate list;
Maroon clown fish
2 Allen’s damsels
Yellow tail blue damsel

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got at least one 2+ year old hitchhiker crab living in the rear chamber of my AIO, now joined by a few peppermint shrimp because the copper banded butterfly took care of the display section and the nems got into the back.

The sump on my little rack has had a lot of fish and shrimp jump the overflow, but right now it has a masked goby. Without other fish around he is super skittish, so I haven't been able to catch him in the rubble. Leaving a clear acrylic trap or a net in the sump for days means he won't come out of the rocks for days, and when nothing's there, he's way more scared of me than he was with the two others up top.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 camel shrimp
3 emerald crabs
Unknown number of snails and small starfish
Couple hermits too.
They all help do their part in eating all the detritus that makes its way into the sump.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, but the water level is 6 inches below the rim. He might be able to if he really wanted but he's pretty content to stay below the ball of chaeto until he sees me with a treat for him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back