What fish or inverts are living in your sump?

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always thought of putting a fish down there, but I'm afraid when the return pump is off (primarily water changes) it will swim to over to the section where the return pump is and get killed.

How are people preventing fish from moving over to the wrong areas of the sump?

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always thought of putting a fish down there, but I'm afraid when the return pump is off (primarily water changes) it will swim to over to the section where the return pump is and get killed.

I use some egg crate to separate the sections. Could also use a sponge.

SaltCreepReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is 240g, I know there is a Scopas tang, an 8 line wrasse and a pink streak wrasse in there, and there are so many sections that are not accessible that it’s proving impossible to get them out, so I just leave them be. I also have probably 5-8 urchins and a ton of snails and crabs that have found there way down there over time. I use about 40” of it for coral overflow so it’s not a bad deal to have some utilitarian fish down there

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I guess it depends on your sump and fish size I had one sump where the water went over the dividers and only slightly under but that was only in the first section where the water comes in so unless the fish jumped over he couldn’t get into the return. And even if they could get to the return it was covered by a sponge filter so he wouldn’t get shredded/sucked in either way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 126 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back