Saltwater Creatures that live in the dark

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity are there any inverts, corals, fish or whatever that can live in the dark w/ minimal sunlight? For example a sump but without any light can something live in there? Just wondering if that's possible!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. *I'm taking it to mean pretty much no light ever but maybe I misinterpreted that part.
Many inverts are nocturnal and most don't need sunlight directly (I think) but then I'd wonder about what kind of natural food source would develop in a 24/7 dark period, or even very limited light.

No idea, but I like the question.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing that comes to my mind are the NPS corals out there. I don't think they need any light but do need some kind of a food source - not sure on the top of my head what that is though. Maybe zooplankton?

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. *I'm taking it to mean pretty much no light ever but maybe I misinterpreted that part.
Many inverts are nocturnal and most don't need sunlight directly (I think) but then I'd wonder about what kind of natural food source would develop in a 24/7 dark period, or even very limited light.

No idea, but I like the question.
Right?!? Don't you think it could maybe work?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there are a bunch - the trick is finding ones that we can keep in our tanks, as many of the critters that would fit the criteria are from super deep water zones in the ocean.

Light is basically only needed for 1 - photosynthesis, and 2 - sight. So, the trick is finding critters that are non-photosynthetic and either don't need to see at all or are particularly well adapted to seeing in the dark (if it's pitch black, critters that are adapted to seeing in the dark generally won't work, but there are a few exceptions).

NPS corals (including NPS gorgonians, LPS, etc.), a wide range of filter feeders (bryozoans, feather dusters, bivalves, sponges, tunicates, etc.), and certain fish (especially ones like flashlight fish and pineapple fish, which are bioluminescent, relatively coldwater fish) would all work as long as the space is setup properly for them and they're offered enough proper food. A lot of mobile inverts would be out with no light, but a few might work. Plenty of inverts and fish (particularly the nocturnal species, which typically have much larger eyes like Squirrelfish and Soldierfish) would work fine with just a little bit of light.

What food would be needed depends on the species, but basically you'd need bacteria, phytoplankton, pods (copepods, rotifers, brine shrimp, etc.), powdered fish feed, and/or regular fish feed.

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there are a bunch - the trick is finding ones that we can keep in our tanks, as many of the critters that would fit the criteria are from super deep water zones in the ocean.

Light is basically only needed for 1 - photosynthesis, and 2 - sight. So, the trick is finding critters that are non-photosynthetic and either don't need to see at all or are particularly well adapted to seeing in the dark (if it's pitch black, critters that are adapted to seeing in the dark generally won't work, but there are a few exceptions).

NPS corals (including NPS gorgonians, LPS, etc.), a wide range of filter feeders (bryozoans, feather dusters, bivalves, sponges, tunicates, etc.), and certain fish (especially ones like flashlight fish and pineapple fish, which are bioluminescent, relatively coldwater fish) would all work as long as the space is setup properly for them and they're offered enough proper food. A lot of mobile inverts would be out with no light, but a few might work. Plenty of inverts and fish (particularly the nocturnal species, which typically have much larger eyes like Squirrelfish and Soldierfish) would work fine with just a little bit of light.

What food would be needed depends on the species, but basically you'd need bacteria, phytoplankton, pods (copepods, rotifers, brine shrimp, etc.), powdered fish feed, and/or regular fish feed.
Wow thanks for that! I will have to keep all of those in mind! Was just curious to see if I can out something like those in my sump which really doesn't have much light!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back