- Joined
- Jul 12, 2026
- Messages
- 20
- Reaction score
- 7
- What state or country do you live in
- North Carolina
I recently had a Citron clown goby die in a quarantine tank. I was just observing him before starting treatment because he would not eat. He died after 4 days. I noticed these creatures on the glass the day he died and noticed a few on the body of the fish right before he died. He was not flashing but was distressed, breathing rapidly. Videos show the creatures on the glass - there are 2 sizes. The larger ones (maybe 2mm) seem to erratically swim in the water the smaller ones pretty much move along the glass.
The history of this tank is that it was set up new with a few pieces of live rock from Marco Rocks. I was concerned about hitchhikers and possible Aiptasia. I watched the live rock for 2 weeks then added peppermint shrimp and different snails. I continued to watch for another 1-2 weeks and then moved all the live rock and shrimp, snails to a display tank. I did not notice these creatures before the move.
I replaced all the water in the quarantine tank with freshly made salt water. I did not bleach it. I added a sponge filter from the display tank sump, new PVC pipe and a dish of sand that had been in the future display tank.
I now have these creatures in both tanks. My concern is are they parasitic? I think the smaller ones are good copepods but I do not know about the larger ones - again I saw a few of the larger creatures on the dying fish. There are currently two other fish in the quarantine tank which seem ok - a royal gramma and hectors goby. Also today I noticed the display tank which has had no fish in it has the same creatures. My guess is that this came on the live rock.
Thank you for any advice.
QA
The history of this tank is that it was set up new with a few pieces of live rock from Marco Rocks. I was concerned about hitchhikers and possible Aiptasia. I watched the live rock for 2 weeks then added peppermint shrimp and different snails. I continued to watch for another 1-2 weeks and then moved all the live rock and shrimp, snails to a display tank. I did not notice these creatures before the move.
I replaced all the water in the quarantine tank with freshly made salt water. I did not bleach it. I added a sponge filter from the display tank sump, new PVC pipe and a dish of sand that had been in the future display tank.
I now have these creatures in both tanks. My concern is are they parasitic? I think the smaller ones are good copepods but I do not know about the larger ones - again I saw a few of the larger creatures on the dying fish. There are currently two other fish in the quarantine tank which seem ok - a royal gramma and hectors goby. Also today I noticed the display tank which has had no fish in it has the same creatures. My guess is that this came on the live rock.
Thank you for any advice.
QA
