what do you put at the end of your return loc-line?

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those of you that use the loc-line (don't we all?) for the return flow into your display tank,
what do you guys put on the end as a diffuser? I use the flare nozzle. I was looking into the random flow tips, not sure how important they are, just thinking of other flow options for that line. (those random flow generators are $$$)

so, what nifty diffuser do you use for the loc-line?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those of you that use the loc-line (don't we all?) for the return flow into your display tank,
what do you guys put on the end as a diffuser? I use the flare nozzle. I was looking into the random flow tips, not sure how important they are, just thinking of other flow options for that line. (those random flow generators are $$$)

so, what nifty diffuser do you use for the loc-line?
Single VCA RFG's are in the $30 range. That's not too many $$$ :) . I have one on my small tank and think it really does a good job. I'm meaning to get one for my big tank, just haven't gotten too it yet.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see a benefit in them vs the flare?
I see the visual difference and the flow pattern they'd provide
Depends on what you want. IME, the flare works & the RFG works. I like turbulent flow, but you gotta run the RFG @ flow rates high enough for it to do it's job. The flat flare does just fine as well, but does give me some turbulence as well but you need to run them at watel level to achieve it and does it at lower flow rates, IME.

I didn't mind paying for the VCA and the customer service is solid.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome - thanks for the all support everyone - made my Sunday.

im glad you mentioned the flow rate. I didn't think of that part.
how would one determine if there is enough flow?

right now I have my flares stirring up the surface, which seems to work. but I have only ever used flares. it's all I know.

it is correct to get the most out of the Random Flow Generator® Nozzle you will want to supply it the correct amount of flow.

Each of our preconfigured flow kits and individual Random Flow Generator nozzles have a suggested optimal and suggested minimal flow rate.

These flow rate are as measured at the outlet – not from the pump itself. So you’ll want to estimate any head loss generated by the plumbing, when choosing the right size RFG nozzles

In many cases, we even suggest to downsize the RFG or reduce the number of RFG nozzles based on the flow rate. A properly flowed 1/2in RFG will outperform a under-supplied 3//4in RFG.

With that said, these are “suggested” flow rates and we encourage you to experiment based on your aquarium.

Essentially our suggested optimal flow rate is where we feel you get the best amount of randomized flow for the least amount of back pressure. If you have head pressure to spare, then you can exceed the suggested optimal flow rate. The effect will be a bigger more pronounced wave-maker like flow.

We do have a series of (very old) flow videos that show various size Random Flow Generator nozzles at various flow rates. We really should re-do these videos, but the effect and result still holds true.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 75g was built over 10 years ago and has dual regular circular nozzles

My 15g Waterbox needed more flow and I couldn’t find a suitable power head; so I upgraded the return pump and bought a vca rfg. I’m very impressed by what this simple device does

For my 83g build I talked to vca and bought a single 3/4 rfg to put on the return lock line and I’m gonna overdrive it and see if I can get away without any power heads in the tank. VCA says it can be done easily if I give it 650+ gph…I’m going to start around 700 gph and increase as needed. I can get up to 1300gph at my head height from the return pump I bought…so I’ll see what works best for me

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 75g was built over 10 years ago and has dual regular circular nozzles

My 15g Waterbox needed more flow and I couldn’t find a suitable power head; so I upgraded the return pump and bought a vca rfg. I’m very impressed by what this simple device does

For my 83g build I talked to vca and bought a single 3/4 rfg to put on the return lock line and I’m gonna overdrive it and see if I can get away without any power heads in the tank. VCA says it can be done easily if I give it 650+ gph…I’m going to start around 700 gph and increase as needed. I can get up to 1300gph at my head height from the return pump I bought…so I’ll see what works best for me
I'm doing the same. Have you set your tank up yet?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back