Return Nozzle vs Random Flow

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. So I have two options here and wondering what you all would do here.

I do not have another power outlet for a power head. So I have an AIO tank only a 24g but the display is around 15g, and I have a return nozzle in the back top right snaked to hit the surface and aimed towards the front left of the tank. This creates great flow of a circular motion throughout the tank, but the flow is all one direction. I can't imagine this is wonderful for the whole tank if I put torches or anemones in there.

I have a Random Flow Generator that I can put on the return. But this makes my sand in the front right bottom of the tank sort of blow around and reveal the glass, kind of annoying, but under the nozzle gets great flow, randomly timed and generated but the other side of the tank has stupid low flow.

If I can't get a powerhead, would you recommend the Random Flow Generator based on the above with more low flow spots and dead spots, or a circular flow throughout the tank in one direction with no dead spots? Goal to keep torches and anemones.

Thanks!

1000004388.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Random Flow Generator that I can put on the return. But this makes my sand in the front right bottom of the tank sort of blow around and reveal the glass, kind of annoying, but under the nozzle gets great flow, randomly timed and generated but the other side of the tank has stupid low flow.

I would give the Random Flow Generality nozzle another try - this time try adjusting the angle of the RFG. Ideally for this configuration, you would want to aimed the RFG at about the center of the opposite corner the return comes in on.

Assuming it is in fact randomizing, then you should se it blasting flow at one spot.

To ensure the RFG is randomizing, it can help to not put the RFG at a sharp angle on the end of the modular hose. Too sharp of an angle, can sometime interfere with the RFGs ability to randomize.

Another thing to consider is flow rate. Ideally you'll want to bet at or near the Suggested Optimal Flow (SOF) rating for which ever size RFG you have. The 1/2in RFG SOF rating is about 375 to 450 GPH

Hope that helps

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give the Random Flow Generality nozzle another try - this time try adjusting the angle of the RFG. Ideally for this configuration, you would want to aimed the RFG at about the center of the opposite corner the return comes in on.

Assuming it is in fact randomizing, then you should se it blasting flow at one spot.

To ensure the RFG is randomizing, it can help to not put the RFG at a sharp angle on the end of the modular hose. Too sharp of an angle, can sometime interfere with the RFGs ability to randomize.

Another thing to consider is flow rate. Ideally you'll want to bet at or near the Suggested Optimal Flow (SOF) rating for which ever size RFG you have. The 1/2in RFG SOF rating is about 375 to 450 GPH

Hope that helps
I can try that. I was using the Spin Stream and it's coming out straight. I'd need to try some kind of 45 degree angle with it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back