Hydroids: a reference to some strategies

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many of us, I have had problems on and off over the years with Hydroids. The ones that have always given me the most problems are the common ones that almost look like a smaller and darker version of the beginner coral called Yellow Polyps. But the colonial Hydroid is much smaller than the yellow polyp and glows slightly greenish under blue light. In the past they never got to the point of hurting corals, but more recently they've been proliferating unchecked. So I decided to revisit the basic list of solutions as it appears that there's been no real consensus as what if anything can be done about this. Many have gotten desperate enough to NUKE their tank with a worming agent commonly used in dogs containing Fipronel. Given the porosity of live rock of good quality, once you put a heavy chemical like that in the tank....there will be trace amounts for a long, long time.

A) Lets discuss Fipronel. Its not a bad choice if you don't have a lot of corals and inverts. Many inverts can and do survive treatment...but its hit and miss. Fish can handle it well enough. All worms will die and rot in your rocks...its a wormicide. Its not a very practical solution someone with thousands of dollars of coral at risk. This is why its mainly used in seahorse tanks.

B) Butterfly fish....seems like about a 10% chance of success, but any fish that eats hydroids...might also eat your corals. Plus you would need to quarantine this fish for months to make sure of no Marine Velvet....which is the Black Death in a marine tank where no chemicals can be used and no fish can be caught in net due to coral hiding places. You cant put them in a hospital tank if you cant catch them and traps are often too big to work well in reef tanks.

c) Nudibranchs. Yes...we all know that a Lynx Nudibranch could very well solve this problem....good luck finding one of those! Its impossible. But you can use a common Sea Hare...probably 50% chance of success. There is a lot of wrong information suggesting that these can nuke your tank with ink. However the ones commonly sold by live aquaria and the like don't really have much toxic potential. Maybe a big one would wipe out a ten gallon. But in your large tank its a reasonably safe risk...especially if you have carbon reactor. You will need to provide supplemental algae as these Hares are easily starved.

D) Peppermint shrimp and Emerald Crabs...some eat hydroids and some don't. But I have definitely seen both species consume hydroids. Peppermint shrimp can also eat corals when they run out of hydroids and Aiptasia. but shrimp are easily trapped in a trap you make from a half liter water plastic bottle.

E) Husbandry. For many of us, Hydroids only beomce a problem once we start feeding corals. Most corals get by well enough on sunlight..but feeding makes them thrive. However the same food also makes Hydroid populations explode. Many experts think that one reason you don't want to Nuke your tank to get rid of Hydroids is that they are universally present in virtually every rock, snail, coral, etc we put in our tanks in some hidden unseen form. And they only become a problem once something gets out of balance or some factor triggers things to be favorable to hydroid growth...its not fully understood. So less coral feedings, better filtration--roller filtration is ideal...and possibly even UV sterilizer to knock down free floating life stages of various hydroids.

F) Sometimes increasing Alkalinity and Calcium will somehow make it unfavorable to Hydroids.

Personally, I've found over the years that every fish and shrimp even is as unique as a person....its really interesting but the same species of shrimp you will find ones that hate Aiptasia and the ones that love it. They are just individuals with individual preferences. This is why there is so much confusion over what reef additions will and will not solve your pest problems. Its like throwing a pizza part for kids...some kids won't eat pizza. To get around this...I always add 6 pep shrimps instead of 1 even if its overkill...same with emerald crabs. Eventually every population has an individual with the dietary preferences you require to fix your infestation. For my 100 gallon I added ten crabs and ten shrimp, one sea hare, I increase Alkalinity, I added a UV sterilizer, stopped feeding coral frenzy, installed a roller filter (keeps tank so clean skimmer produces nothing anymore). I don't think this eliminated Hydroids...but my tank went from hundreds to seeing almost none in a month. I'm sure they will come back...just like bubble algae and aiptasia generally find there way back in every few years. Most of the information contained in my article is already in previous posts...I just thought I'd save someone the 2 hours I spend once every few years researching Hydroids...its tough to research as they are one of the most diverse marine organisms on the planet...thus you might have ones that look the same as mine but are not the same at all.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many of us, I have had problems on and off over the years with Hydroids. The ones that have always given me the most problems are the common ones that almost look like a smaller and darker version of the beginner coral called Yellow Polyps. But the colonial Hydroid is much smaller than the yellow polyp and glows slightly greenish under blue light. In the past they never got to the point of hurting corals, but more recently they've been proliferating unchecked. So I decided to revisit the basic list of solutions as it appears that there's been no real consensus as what if anything can be done about this. Many have gotten desperate enough to NUKE their tank with a worming agent commonly used in dogs containing Fipronel. Given the porosity of live rock of good quality, once you put a heavy chemical like that in the tank....there will be trace amounts for a long, long time.

A) Lets discuss Fipronel. Its not a bad choice if you don't have a lot of corals and inverts. Many inverts can and do survive treatment...but its hit and miss. Fish can handle it well enough. All worms will die and rot in your rocks...its a wormicide. Its not a very practical solution someone with thousands of dollars of coral at risk. This is why its mainly used in seahorse tanks.

B) Butterfly fish....seems like about a 10% chance of success, but any fish that eats hydroids...might also eat your corals. Plus you would need to quarantine this fish for months to make sure of no Marine Velvet....which is the Black Death in a marine tank where no chemicals can be used and no fish can be caught in net due to coral hiding places. You cant put them in a hospital tank if you cant catch them and traps are often too big to work well in reef tanks.

c) Nudibranchs. Yes...we all know that a Lynx Nudibranch could very well solve this problem....good luck finding one of those! Its impossible. But you can use a common Sea Hare...probably 50% chance of success. There is a lot of wrong information suggesting that these can nuke your tank with ink. However the ones commonly sold by live aquaria and the like don't really have much toxic potential. Maybe a big one would wipe out a ten gallon. But in your large tank its a reasonably safe risk...especially if you have carbon reactor. You will need to provide supplemental algae as these Hares are easily starved.

D) Peppermint shrimp and Emerald Crabs...some eat hydroids and some don't. But I have definitely seen both species consume hydroids. Peppermint shrimp can also eat corals when they run out of hydroids and Aiptasia. but shrimp are easily trapped in a trap you make from a half liter water plastic bottle.

E) Husbandry. For many of us, Hydroids only beomce a problem once we start feeding corals. Most corals get by well enough on sunlight..but feeding makes them thrive. However the same food also makes Hydroid populations explode. Many experts think that one reason you don't want to Nuke your tank to get rid of Hydroids is that they are universally present in virtually every rock, snail, coral, etc we put in our tanks in some hidden unseen form. And they only become a problem once something gets out of balance or some factor triggers things to be favorable to hydroid growth...its not fully understood. So less coral feedings, better filtration--roller filtration is ideal...and possibly even UV sterilizer to knock down free floating life stages of various hydroids.

F) Sometimes increasing Alkalinity and Calcium will somehow make it unfavorable to Hydroids.

Personally, I've found over the years that every fish and shrimp even is as unique as a person....its really interesting but the same species of shrimp you will find ones that hate Aiptasia and the ones that love it. They are just individuals with individual preferences. This is why there is so much confusion over what reef additions will and will not solve your pest problems. Its like throwing a pizza part for kids...some kids won't eat pizza. To get around this...I always add 6 pep shrimps instead of 1 even if its overkill...same with emerald crabs. Eventually every population has an individual with the dietary preferences you require to fix your infestation. For my 100 gallon I added ten crabs and ten shrimp, one sea hare, I increase Alkalinity, I added a UV sterilizer, stopped feeding coral frenzy, installed a roller filter (keeps tank so clean skimmer produces nothing anymore). I don't think this eliminated Hydroids...but my tank went from hundreds to seeing almost none in a month. I'm sure they will come back...just like bubble algae and aiptasia generally find there way back in every few years. Most of the information contained in my article is already in previous posts...I just thought I'd save someone the 2 hours I spend once every few years researching Hydroids...its tough to research as they are one of the most diverse marine organisms on the planet...thus you might have ones that look the same as mine but are not the same at all.
Awesome write up! This can be some really useful information for hobbyists out there battling this exact problem! One thing that I will point out that I 100% agree on is the fact that all of these animals are individuals and have their own agenda. They are not programmed and each one has its on personality. There is no guarantee whether one thing will eat another, but by supplementing the system with a group there surely will be one that will have the required personality/traits that you are seeking after!

Well done, appreciate the write up!

MrStoffel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic definitely needs more attention and user reports.
I myself am battling digitate hydroids. They went from a dozen to hundreds in a few weeks time.
Placed a few potential predators yesterday:
Centropyge acanthops
Coral banded shrimp
Mithrax Crab
Blue legged hermits
Limpet snails

Will report back if any significant effect is observed...

Lexatron Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these actually hydroids... They look like little brown soft corals taking over my tank. Was hoping a file fish would sort them out
20210427_083025.jpg

MrStoffel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic definitely needs more attention and user reports.
I myself am battling digitate hydroids. They went from a dozen to hundreds in a few weeks time.
Placed a few potential predators yesterday:
Centropyge acanthops
Coral banded shrimp
Mithrax Crab
Blue legged hermits
Limpet snails

Will report back if any significant effect is observed...
Two weeks in and i have seen a significant reduction in number of hydroids, except for the chaeto in my sump.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those little white ones that like to infest my larvae and baby fish grow-out tanks. The stinging is one issue but far worse is that they gobble up all the food and leave the little fish starving. These pests grow and multiply so fast that the tanks have to be scrubbed down on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
I really need to find a few of those nudibranchs...

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up thanks for simplifying & sharing. I had an issue with these in my previous tank for a short period. My acanthurus tang loves them! Just goes to show your earlier point. Each creature is an individual and some will eat them and others won’t!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each creature is an individual and some will eat them and others won’t!

True. I have a Halloween Hermit (Ciliopagurus strigatus) that eats old, mature colonial hydroids, but doesn't touch the smaller young ones. Cuts down on the population and reproduction, so that's helpful.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread isn’t updated lately but . I had Dino problems and started a doseing routine of phosphate. This seamed to cause a explosion in the numbers of colonel hybrids in my 90 gallon. This makes me believe that phosphate has a direct effect on them .
I have nothing that works . The only thing I haven’t tried is a copper band butterfly . I just been busy. I have gotten needle nose plyers and removed them from a few rocks at a time but this won’t work for base rock so there was no real effect from this .

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this is what I have as well. So far nothing has stopped them from taking over.
these are the ones I have right now, ive tried a lot of things including changing all live rock and they survived, now finding them in my sump and pipework also :( so tired of these things stinging all my corals.

Im thinking of starting another tank and moving all corals (after manually cleaning them off) and then trying to starv them out or even fipronel if its available in the UK

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware of this pretty efficient method?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this is what I have as well. So far nothing has stopped them from taking over.
Seen @vetteguy53081 say these are colonial hydroids and think he says aim flow towards them but not at them and this will starve them hopefully

Edit : screenshot here

Screenshot_20210903-203204_Chrome.jpg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I actually received 2 fringeback nudibranchs today, one was already eating hydroids. I am in the process of uploading the video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Those nudi's will eat certain ones and they are Hydroids

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Not the best videos but my first. It's a little hard to see but the fringeback nudibranch is eating hydroids. They only eat a specific type as stated by Vetteguy but I am lucky and unlucky to have that type of hydroid.

Last edited:

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen @vetteguy53081 say these are colonial hydroids and think he says aim flow towards them but not at them and this will starve them hopefu

unfortunately directing flow towards mine caused them to let go of the rock they were on, start floating through my tank like little tiny jellyfish and attach themselves to all my other rocks too

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately directing flow towards mine caused them to let go of the rock they were on, start floating through my tank like little tiny jellyfish and attach themselves to all my other rocks too
Adaptable little buggers hey.
Unfortunately i never tried to get rid of them so no real advice to give.
I had a few on a gsp frag that i had and when cut gsp up to stick on back wall i pulled few off but left several on then as far as im aware i think my coral beauty ate them.not 100% sure on this but when seen cb near them it looked like it and not eating the closed up gsp.or maybe mine still in tank but cant see them lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back