Hydroid pest help!

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody I dreaded this day but I got my first couple of reef tank pests. One of them is Vermetid snails which I am getting bumblebee snails to eat them up. But I also believe to have hydroids. What fish or livestock eat hydroids. What are other treatments for hydroids. Here some pics for reference, it’s my very first reef tank been running for 9 months now! Let me know if there are any livestock that eat hydroids or whatever pest that is

IMG_8132.jpeg
IMG_8120.jpeg
IMG_8141.jpeg
IMG_8119.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everybody I dreaded this day but I got my first couple of reef tank pests. One of them is Vermetid snails which I am getting bumblebee snails to eat them up. But I also believe to have hydroids. What fish or livestock eat hydroids. What are other treatments for hydroids. Here some pics for reference, it’s my very first reef tank been running for 9 months now! Let me know if there are any livestock that eat hydroids or whatever pest that is

IMG_8132.jpeg
IMG_8120.jpeg
IMG_8141.jpeg
IMG_8119.jpeg
Often you can simply direct water flow towards them - not at them and they will be unable to get food and soon starve.
Other methods are applying kalkwasser paste over them (but too much can alter alk and ph), Gel super glue (small area at a time) or remove rock and scrub off in a container of tank water

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often you can simply direct water flow towards them - not at them and they will be unable to get food and soon starve.
Other methods are applying kalkwasser paste over them (but too much can alter alk and ph), Gel super glue (small area at a time) or remove rock and scrub off in a container of tank water
I’m trying too avoid taking the rocks out, what should I do with the super glue? Are there not any fish or livestock that eat hydroids

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, and here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No fish eat them and with gel glue- must be gel, you can apply at small sections at a time. Peppermint shrimp will eat zoa before they focus, IF they focus on hydroids at all

OP
OP
toor.attar

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish eat them and with gel glue- must be gel, you can apply at small sections at a time. Peppermint shrimp will eat zoa before they focus, IF they focus on hydroids at all
okay so just apply some gel glue all over the hydroids? Sand that should take care of it for the time being?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
okay so just apply some gel glue all over the hydroids? Sand that should take care of it for the time being?
Yes. Go in small amounts - Dont try all at one tine. I used a paint brush to apply over them but the brush was a mess once used.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back