Hydroids: a reference to some strategies

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found a medium sized LR in my refugium with hydroids. It was the only LR in my sump where my chaeto is. They don’t seem to be in my display or any other chamber of my sump. Hoping I caught them at the start of their population…

whats the best method to nuke the LR? Will soaking the LR in DI for a month after a 5% bleach bath be sufficient?

also, what’s the brown ring around the bottom of the LR? I put miracle mud in my sump 1.5-2yrs ago, never stirred it or replaced it. Just kind of let it sit. Could it have metals in the miracle mud?

Attachments

• IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5203.jpeg
    IMG_5203.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 25

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually received 2 fringeback nudibranchs today, one was already eating hydroids. I am in the process of uploading the video

Aren't these the exact same thing as Berghia nudibranch that eat aiptasia?

I got a couple and they disappeared within a week. They also don't seem to like flow at all so they don't seem to go well with coral tanks.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aren't these the exact same thing as Berghia nudibranch that eat aiptasia?

I got a couple and they disappeared within a week. They also don't seem to like flow at all so they don't seem to go well with coral tanks.
Different type of Nudibranch. They definitely did not the flow in my tank and didnt last long sadly

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those little umbrellas in my tank - but they never spread out and eventually disappeared. One less I learnt about managing aiptasia numbers is NOT to use dispersive food. No coral frenzy, no Reef Roids - and no lobster eggs or mysis shrimps.

Nowadays I have 2 or 3 aiptasia growing somewhere and I only need to go and kill a couple every few months... they just don't bother me any more! I used to have a Copperband a year ago - but I don't have or need one any more.

What do I feed to fish? I feed clams and mussels. Just one of these each day (on a magnetic peg) and all my fish love it (including Tomini, Convict tang, wrasse, clowns and coral beauty). I supplement clams/mussels feed with flakes - and I never use pellets either.

That's as simple as that - and it is possible the same simple solution being the reason why those hydroids never got established in my tank.. And - by the way, the number of vermitid snails have gone massively down too (as compared to early days when I was much less experienced)...

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those little umbrellas in my tank - but they never spread out and eventually disappeared. One less I learnt about managing aiptasia numbers is NOT to use dispersive food. No coral frenzy, no Reef Roids - and no lobster eggs or mysis shrimps.

Nowadays I have 2 or 3 aiptasia growing somewhere and I only need to go and kill a couple every few months... they just don't bother me any more! I used to have a Copperband a year ago - but I don't have or need one any more.

What do I feed to fish? I feed clams and mussels. Just one of these each day (on a magnetic peg) and all my fish love it (including Tomini, Convict tang, wrasse, clowns and coral beauty). I supplement clams/mussels feed with flakes - and I never use pellets either.

That's as simple as that - and it is possible the same simple solution being the reason why those hydroids never got established in my tank.. And - by the way, the number of vermitid snails have gone massively down too (as compared to early days when I was much less experienced)...
I wonder if I could just switch to fish eggs or something, if mysis is out - which I'm guessing is because of the slurry of stuff when you defrost them?

I have too many fish that won't go for clams or mussels or flakes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back