In line UV behind my refuge in my nano. Good or bad idea and why? I’m new so just trying to find out if I’m setting this up correct.

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting my new 32 bio cube nano set up and have lots of goodies coming in Wednesday. One of which is a UV sterilizer. Will this harm my good algae from the fuge or am I ok. All input welcome and remember I’m new so be patient all seasoned reefers.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. The UV only kills what goes through it. The chaeto in your Fuge should be fre floating, so it won’t pass through the uv

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s separate algae filter from refugium. An algae/macro filter consumes nutrients and when pruned, exports nutrients. A refugium grows micro fana which consume nutrients that are recycled back to display thru the return pump. Micro fauna could include amphipods & copepods or larvae from detrivores.

PS: If you inoculate your refugium with pods, I would not sterilize the output of refugium as it should pass live food thru pump mimpeller.

OP
OP
germo

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s separate algae filter from refugium. An algae/macro filter consumes nutrients and when pruned, exports nutrients. A refugium grows micro fana which consume nutrients that are recycled back to display thru the return pump. Micro fauna could include amphipods & copepods or larvae from detrivores.

PS: If you inoculate your refugium with pods, I would not sterilize the output of refugium as it should pass live food thru pump mimpeller.
Thank you this answers my question and was exactly what I was thinking. But I wanted a response that assured me this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back