In need of some help - what is growing on my sandbed?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 33g that has been up and running since October last year. I’ve had diatoms, then cyano… which looked like a dark purple slimy residue on my rock. I removed as much as possible and used chemiclean in my tank. I got rid of that but now it looks like I have a mix of things that I can’t figure out. I have a rusty brown coating on my sand that appears the next day again. I turn the sand with a turkey baster… looks all fresh and white and the next day it has that same rust colored coating again. Especially in the areas where it receives most light. I also spot stringy bits sticking out of the sand and see it sporadically here and there on a coral. My alk: 8, Ca: 400, Phosphate: 0, Nitrate: 0-2, PH: 8.3 and Magnesium: 1350 Any idea what it can be and what I can do? I just want to have clear sand after all these months of effort…

Attachments

• IMG_9496.MOV
    40.6 MB
OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you add pods? that's helped me as well as conchs to stir the bed.
I had a lot of pods for a while but not anymore… I might need to get some. I have one tiger conch in my tank. You think I should add another? I really want to get to the root of the problem.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump
bumping your thread. post a pic for the guys to look at. they're good at identifying algae types. might be another ugly.

I have more than one conch in my 32. but thats temporary since didn't want him to get eaten so moved him in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 33g that has been up and running since October last year. I’ve had diatoms, then cyano… which looked like a dark purple slimy residue on my rock. I removed as much as possible and used chemiclean in my tank. I got rid of that but now it looks like I have a mix of things that I can’t figure out. I have a rusty brown coating on my sand that appears the next day again. I turn the sand with a turkey baster… looks all fresh and white and the next day it has that same rust colored coating again. Especially in the areas where it receives most light. I also spot stringy bits sticking out of the sand and see it sporadically here and there on a coral. My alk: 8, Ca: 400, Phosphate: 0, Nitrate: 0-2, PH: 8.3 and Magnesium: 1350 Any idea what it can be and what I can do? I just want to have clear sand after all these months of effort…
hard to tell in video with amount of blue penetration but appears to b diatoms. Can use another video under bright white intensity to fully determine
How are you testing these levels (type of kit(s)

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump
bumping your thread. post a pic for the guys to look at. they're good at identifying algae types. might be another ugly.

I have more than one conch in my 32. but thats temporary since didn't want him to get eaten so moved him in.
This is how it looks for now but I’ll post another tomorrow in white light. I have another conch in my smaller tank… I might move him in the 33g. My tiger conch is great when he is moving around. But sometimes he goes days without moving and then I need to stir the sand bed manualy.

Attachments

• AA66121B-DC2F-4724-8060-E71DF9E12E6C.jpeg
    AA66121B-DC2F-4724-8060-E71DF9E12E6C.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 15F9E214-5B64-4CF9-9AE9-9A58BE86C5F7.jpeg
    15F9E214-5B64-4CF9-9AE9-9A58BE86C5F7.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the use of harsh chemicals in your tank bottoming out your nutrients levels you probably have dinos now
Great . I just have to go through through this face again like in the beginning you think?

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell in video with amount of blue penetration but appears to b diatoms. Can use another video under bright white intensity to fully determine
I’ll post some better pictures tomorrow. I’m testing with Salifert kits. BTW… thx for always replying. You’ve really given me good advice in the past. Just wanted to put that out there so you know you’re a great help

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the first stage cyano, too too hard to tell.

If you haven't, I recommend giving this a read:

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the first stage cyano, too too hard to tell.

If you haven't, I recommend giving this a read:

Will have a look, thx for the share. I appreciate it

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to tell the difference between Dinos and diatoms without a microscope. Even just a kids microscope to get 400 magnification will do.
Do you know of a resource regarding what to look for? Meaning images of the different uglies?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeppers. Dinos are round or almond shape. Diatoms look like elongated diamond shapes or like a canoe. Cyano looks like long stringy threads.

Attachments

• Dealing-With-Dinos-Rev-H-Published-August-2023.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it looks in daylight. My tank is in a room that has lots of ambient light. Could it have something to do with that?

Attachments

• CA166A62-8C75-44A3-ABD3-A0A7F5A48D56.jpeg
    CA166A62-8C75-44A3-ABD3-A0A7F5A48D56.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 47

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it looks in daylight. My tank is in a room that has lots of ambient light. Could it have something to do with that?
you should include your light and settings. The Chemiclean probably restarted uglies which I'm guessing your lighting you didn't lower and gradually increase. The green on the rocks I think suggests that too. I'd like to hear what the pro's suggest.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like diatoms to me than Dino’s but a microscope would confirm… yes ambient lighting could play a role in that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back