in-tank boxes for anemones?

  • Thread starter Thread starter snowhite
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

snowhite

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2019
Messages
387
Reaction score
338
Location
Smyrna, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of people/LFS's with boxes they're keeping anemone's in making it easier to extract them. But not find specific things beyond clear breeder boxes.

What are y'all using for isolating or housing your anemones to keep them off rock work, etc and easier access?
 
I bought a couple craft bins at HobbyLobby yesterday, turned one of them upside down on the other and superglued, then cut out the new top of the new isolation prison. Slots in side may be to wide for smaller Anem's... we'll see. May need to put some mesh on outside. $4 for the interim.

Update: This morning the single Anem in there has his foot through a slot, but not onto the glass. Seems comfortable there. Would be easy to slip him back through to get him out when wanted. We'll see if he's content with that or he pulls himself through. If so, next step will be adding some mesh to the sides.

The tank is a 29 gallon I kind of use as a very basic mad scientist test tank with just a hang on back on it and a wad of Live Rock and barely there substrait, but things like Trachy brains, clams and other corals just seem to love it. It's usually where I place anything that's being sensitive or flaky and in a few days to week they're usually happy.

AnemIsolation.jpg

20200514_194408.jpg
 
I've used the acrylic mushroom/breeder boxes from ebay and like them. In frag system I'll just use a black plastic pond basket with some foam for floatation or attach it to the side.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new