Inadvertently Dosing Silica?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank for little over a month now, and I believe I am starting to see small patches of diatoms. I started with dry rock and live sand, use RODI water, and I would imagine there is probably some silica within the dry rock.

However, I was thinking (overthinking perhaps) a bit further and along with my new fish pets, I also have a cat. Her litter box is in the same room as the fish tank. The particular type of litter that I use is none other than Silica Gel. When scooping her box I notice a decent amount of "dust" that will suspend in the air. Now I do have an air filter and fans blowing in the room however I can't help but think some of this dust will reach the tank at some point.

So my question is, is it possible from the dust of the Silica Gel cat litter to effectively dose my tank with Silica? The more frequently I scoop her box, the more potential for inadvertent "Silica Dosing" .... lol.

PXL_20220801_022049068.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about the kitty litter (a vacuum hose turned close by when scooping will cut down on dust). Diatoms are perfectly normal for new tanks - in time they'll brown, green and then you should see purple coralline developing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back