Indecisive 20g Long Tank List

MerkethMerky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, So everytime I try and come up with a stocking list for my 20 gallon I keep going back on what I want and can't really decide on what group I want. I guess I'll just offer it to y'all and see your thoughts too?

A Harptail Blennie and a Longnose Hawkfish (I do want a Blood Red Fire Shrimp, it might be too small but its still 2-3" already).
A pair of small clowns and a trio of Firefish
A pair of clowns and the harptail blennie
A pair of clowns and a Longnose Hawkfish

I don't really like the goby/pistol shrimp combo, nor do I like the more usual blennies and gobies anyways. So those are off the table for me unfortunately. I don't know if my CUC matters, but its a blood red fire shrimp, and then a variety of snails. Possibly a clam if I can find the right lighting. Any help is appreciated!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had a couple of goby/pistol shrimp combos and they always hid. Why don't you consider the 40g? Its not much more expensive with the 50% off deal. That gives you twice the real estate and half the problems. I have a 20g for qt and it's really small. I have a 40g while I redo my main display and the fish seem happy in it. I wouldn't stock much more than a pair of clowns in a 20g.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a firefish trio. They do not play well in groups.

I like option 4 personally.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawkfish is likely to make a meal of your shrimp. I would pick one or the other.

OP
OP
MerkethMerky

MerkethMerky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple of goby/pistol shrimp combos and they always hid. Why don't you consider the 40g? Its not much more expensive with the 50% off deal. That gives you twice the real estate and half the problems. I have a 20g for qt and it's really small. I have a 40g while I redo my main display and the fish seem happy in it. I wouldn't stock much more than a pair of clowns in a 20g.
Unfortunately my apartment limits me on tank size, I can do multiple 20s but nothing larger individually unfortunately. Otherwise if 100% get a 40g+

OP
OP
MerkethMerky

MerkethMerky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say a full size cleaner shrimp is ok with hawkfish, but I don't know if that is exceptional. I like option #3 to be on the safe side.
So I’ve heard, I’m going to try and get one that’s been in the tank with a shrimp, if not I will probably stay with #3

OP
OP
MerkethMerky

MerkethMerky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a firefish trio. They do not play well in groups.

I like option 4 personally.
I thought they could only be in groups cause they’re schooling fish? And if I can get the hawk fish to play nice with my blood shrimp I will def get #4

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back