Independent variables...Are you patient enough?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Science/G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Science/G

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2021
Messages
3,854
Reaction score
3,250
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Independent variables in an experiment are the part that we change to get a desired outcome. In a reef aquarium it's coral health, coloration, and growth rate that we're searching for. Even as a science teacher I've found myself changing multiple things at the same time. So I can never quite tell which variable changed made the most significant impact. Just recently due to some elements low in an ICP test, I dosed potassium, boron, iodide, fluoride and a little bit of iron. The reef looks significantly better. Near around the same time, I increased the intensity of my lights just a little bit and added a little more red to the spectrum. Needless to say I can't tell what variable tested has made the most significant impact. Question is, do you find yourself changing multiple variables at the same time, or are you patient enough to test one independent variable alone and make the proper observations? Or, is it just the nature of the game and reacting to ICP tests?
 
Once I found the sweet spot I just stay the course with virtually no fluctuations. Now if my ICP was significantly off in a critical area I would make corrections but at 4 years now it is easy for me to see and smell if everything is as it should be in the tank.
 
I document everything I do now. From feeding the sea urchin to how much algae I see, every test, the use of every product.

I make small adjustments one at a time and observe for any noticeable change.

The reason I do this is because I got tried of chasing my own tail. It's been a very hard lesson for me to learn. When it comes to keeping SW systems I can be very impulsive.

Impulsivity and the saltwater hobby do not mix well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new