Indian Ocean climate event recurs quicker with global warming

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD), an oscillation of sea surface temperatures in the Indian Ocean, has become a major influence on the weather variations in the Indian Ocean region. During positive IOD events, abnormally warm sea surface temperatures in the western Indian Ocean are accompanied by severe droughts over the Indonesian region and heavy rainfall over east Africa.

More...

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Sun may have more of an affect on our weather than greenhouse gases.
We are now seeing many more "Prominences" and flares that increase solar activity throughout our orbital path. These storms affect our weather also. Our orbital wobble of our axis also plays a huge part on 100 year cycles.
Physics News Update

It will be interesting to see how these new solar activities will affect us. I think it is important to note that the term "Global Warming" has been changed to "Climate Change" as many meteorologists are starting to believe that the next decade may result in colder temps and heavy snow falls.

There are also many more negative articles about coral reef decline based on weather than other factors like coral mining for aragonite in the Phillipines(80 million tons a year!) and blasting of reefs in trawling and shipping lanes.

There also many articles about positive growth on the reef, but you have to look for them.....
Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary Among Healthiest Coral Reefs In Gulf Of Mexico
They note that bleaching is caused by hurricane damage.

Ocean Health Plays Vital Role In Coral Reef Recovery
coral recovery

Corals That Can Fight Global Warming May One Day Help Fragile Reefs
Combating bacterial diseases

Spectacular Recovery From Coral Bleaching At Great Barrier Reef Marine Park In Australia
spectacular recovery

Maldives Nurses Its Coral Reefs Back to Life
Maldives comeback

The 1997-98 El`Nino bleaching event is by far the largest bleaching event on record.
El`Ninos are naturally occurring and are unpredictable, but they are tracked now very closely. So with oceanic currents having the ability to raise temps, coastal pollution increasing bacterial and viral infections, overfishing affecting reef populations, the destruction of coral reefs for aragonite to make concrete in the Phillipines, destruction of reef walls for shipping lanes and commercial fishing lanes(done by dynamite), and poor overall protection of coral reefs it is no wonder they are in decline.

I am not a fan of the whole "Global Warming" studies. I think the recent circus in Copenhagen says it all about how people really plan on fixing the problem! It boils down to money and not solutions. I am also big on Astronomy and NASA tracks the temps of surrounding planets and moons. They too warmed as we did, so is it solar?

My point is there is too much speculation about this and too much hype. It is sensationalized with doom and gloom, rather than hope. When countries invest money into protecting their reefs rather than exploiting them I will have hope. There is much more that could be done and be financed in artificially rebuilding coral reefs, especially in damaged areas.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Firemouth...

I'm going to link many, many reefers with blinders on to your post. Thank you!
Global Warming has already been exposed for what it is... a money making gloom and doom tactic. It makes me ill...

I'm not bashing your post either Rev, there's just way too many reefers that think the reefs will be gone in 20-30 years because of global warming.

Last edited:

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More good news!!!!!!

Tsunami damage from 2004 earthquake is recovering rapidly!
Indonesian coral reef recovering after devastating tsunami and years of destructive fishing

Nuclear/atom bomb testing at Bikini Atoll recovering!!!
50 years after the blast: Recovery in Bikini Atoll's coral reef

If corals can recover in less than 5 years after a massive Tsunami, and within 50 years after being NUKED in the presence of Global Warming conditions than I have hope, and DON'T have much stock in the negative based bias reports.

Note, that if you read the Tsunami article it discussed the use of Cyanide and Dynamite as causes for reef failure.

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my idea to fight "climate change" is for people to plant more trees, and for couples to have 1 baby. I believe over population causes more destruction. Not only will there be less interferance with the environment in the long run, it could also keep the divorce and teen pregnancy rates down. But no one wants to hear that so i will just sit here drinking my beer.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your all wronge. gore says i'm going to melt very soon and we all know if he said it that it must be true. <-- (insert scarastic smile of your choice here)

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my idea to fight "climate change" is for people to plant more trees, and for couples to have 1 baby. I believe over population causes more destruction. Not only will there be less interferance with the environment in the long run, it could also keep the divorce and teen pregnancy rates down. But no one wants to hear that so i will just sit here drinking my beer.

Crap, we had two kids. I gotta give one back...:bigsmile:

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope people know that I didn't rebuke this thread topic to be political or controversial, but to show that the end of our oceans isn't coming like they say it is. Also, today a very accurate Japenese weather model released data that the next decade will be showing a cooling affect of the oceans world wide! This will result in more winters having higher snow falls and wetter summers. It is more than possible that the next decade, barring increased pollution levels will lead to more reefs recovering. And that is good news!

Back