indigo hamlet with brazilian seahorse

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that hamlets will eat smaller fish, but the seahorse gets as long as the hamlet and its body plan is hard for the hamlet to swallow. Will these two fish make good tankmates.?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take the potential for aggression and potential for consumption out of the equation I would still suggest it's a no. Seahorses are very slow methodical feeders and anything that will out compete them just isn't worth trying. If you want tank mates then you want to choose equally slow methodical feeders like dragonets, shrimpfish and pipefish

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Indigo Hamlet. He’s been in my tank for maybe a year and a half. I also have a gramma and lyretail anthias which potentially could be food for the hamlet. He shows zero aggression and even will do laps with the anthias. He explodes at food when fed but once he gets his fill he goes back to swimming. I guess it just depends what the personality of the fish is.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how the hamlet approaches the seahorse. Once you stretch out the seahorse, it starts to look like a pipefish, which sounds pretty appetizing from a fish-point of view. I would go with a no, don't put a hamlet in with your seahorse or vice versa.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses aren't the boldest creatures in the ocean, they are more designed to blend in. This is why they slowly move about the place carefully. My worry about a fish the size of the hamlet isn't so much due to aggression or predation but more intimation. Seahorses aren't the easiest fish to keep so anything that has the potential to put them off their food or shy away further is a risk.
I kept jawfish with mine as well as a filefish and they worked well but strictly speaking the best company for seahorses is other seahorses.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back