Indo Gold Torch Vs Indo gold torch "New York Knicks"?

Og_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still don't completely understand the difference here. Can someone help? Reason why i'm asking is because i can either buy a double head of "indo gold torch" for 150$ or 1 head new york knicks for 300

wkd4b11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a NY Knicks I sold awhile back

TYmoshkl.jpg

And here's a Indo Dragon Soul
v3WUuoXl.jpg

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're planning on fragging and selling the frags in the future, I wouldn't worry about the more expensive morph. But here comes a double caveat, if you really really prefer the look of the NY Knicks, then go for that one.

Corals don't have an objective 'worth.' They're worth exactly what someone will pay for them. If you don't plan to resell the coral later on, and if you like the look of the regular indo gold, then stick with that one. Two heads are more than one head, and $150 is less than $300, so you'll have more to put elsewhere.

Honestly, I'd probably hold off on buying a torch until we have a chance to see how the return of Indo supply impacts prices. But that's me.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, every time someone posts wholesale price sheets of actual gold torches from indo, they get pulled right away. Let's say prices directly from indo are far far less than you would imagine. I'd definitely wait... it wont be long before we are giving them away again.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stores that are getting indo in are still selling torches for original prices.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stores that are getting indo in are still selling torches for original prices.

What do you mean when you say "Original prices"? Because to my mind, the original price for a torch was between $25-$50. That's what most common morphs were before the Indo ban. So are stores selling them for that price, or for the ban price ($150-$250 for common morphs)?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For now. Eventually there will be more supply than there is demand at those prices and they will start coming down. A LFS showed me a pic a wholesaler sent him with a vat full of them.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean when you say "Original prices"? Because to my mind, the original price for a torch was between $25-$50. That's what most common morphs were before the Indo ban. So are stores selling them for that price, or for the ban price ($150-$250 for common morphs)?
Looks like they’re selling them at current prices. My lfs store got some in and it was still $150 per head

OP
OP
Og_Reef

Og_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're planning on fragging and selling the frags in the future, I wouldn't worry about the more expensive morph. But here comes a double caveat, if you really really prefer the look of the NY Knicks, then go for that one.

Corals don't have an objective 'worth.' They're worth exactly what someone will pay for them. If you don't plan to resell the coral later on, and if you like the look of the regular indo gold, then stick with that one. Two heads are more than one head, and $150 is less than $300, so you'll have more to put elsewhere.

Honestly, I'd probably hold off on buying a torch until we have a chance to see how the return of Indo supply impacts prices. But that's me.
Yeah im planning on fragging and selling down the road.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im planning on fragging and selling down the road.

In that case... don't bother with either.

A big part of the reason that torches have shot up in price is the Indo ban. That's ended now, and while we likely won't go back to pre-Indo prices, there's going to be a major disruption in prices once vendors start competing on prices. The floor has been lowered with the resumption of Indo corals, so vendors have more room to drop prices while still turning a profit.

It'll take some time, but it'll happen, and you'll be sitting on your high-priced torch while only being able to sell your frags for a fraction of what you paid for it.

OP
OP
Og_Reef

Og_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A big part of the reason that torches have shot up in price is the Indo ban. That's ended now, and while we likely won't go back to pre-Indo prices, there's going to be a major disruption in prices once vendors start competing on prices. The floor has been lowered with the resumption of Indo corals, so vendors have more room to drop prices while still turning a profit.

It'll take some time, but it'll happen, and you'll be sitting on your high-priced torch while only being able to sell your frags for a fraction of what you paid for it.
Ok thank you

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well stated ,exactly predicted future

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here we are eighteen months later. OG Holy Grails still selling for 1k, CC HG for 2.5k. Knicks for 300 to 1k, Dragon Soul for 200-300, etc.

For what it's worth, I'd pay attention to the big picture narrative. Climate change and dying reefs narratives will eventually shut down all coral exports.

Buy what you want to buy, but my dad still won't buy a soft drink because he refuses to pay more than a nickel. Sorry dad, but soft drinks haven't cost a nickel since the fifties.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ny knicks has neon green mouth
I have a torch that was sold as an indo gold but it has a green mouth so does that mean its a ny knicks? I was told the difference between the two was the ny had darker blue tips. My indo gold with green mouth has tealish tips. I am asking because someone is selling heads of ny knicks now for 75 a head which is a great price but dont want it if its basically what I already have and I have to buy 3 torchs to get that price with free shipping. All the torches are so similiar like dragons soul, hellfire, ny knicks and

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my NY Knicks torch. I think it was $325. I’ll be bummed when I see them for sale at 1/2 the price but I still love it’s colors. It’s definitely my favorite euphyllia in my aquarium.

Attachments

• 0A89C462-6346-49CE-BE79-ED4102ACE534.png
    0A89C462-6346-49CE-BE79-ED4102ACE534.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 146

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back