What are my torches worth?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am interested in offloading my torch corals because I am just too afraid of them dying and am interested in creating a more softie dominated setup.

I have:
- CC Goldfinger with 7 heads. This coral is part of a lineage that has been tank conditioned for over 10 years by a local reefer.
- CC Ultra Indo Gold "fathead" with 3 heads. This torch is about as big as the goldfinger. Not sure what fathead really means but it is beautiful
- CC Ultra Indo Gold with 2 heads
- CC 21 Tails with 2 heads

I am looking to sell them locally so that would probably lower the price significantly but I am not trying to squeeze out every dollar I can. I have been growing them for a while so I can easily recoup what I paid.

Thanks!

This image is a few months old:
IMG_3043.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tricky question. As for me I dont go by what someone calls it. The name game is useful though in trying to figure it all out. When I had corals to sell I'd post pics and number them. I'd also try to keep prices reasonable, I wasnt trying to get rich or become the next "coral god". For me something like the one on the right I'd pay $50-75/head comfortably. Somewhere in the $20-40/head range for the others.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an active thread for the CC 21 tails in classifieds going for $50/head.

Locally here in Ohio, you’re looking at about $40/head on the left one, up to about $100/head for the middle with the right one somewhere in between.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an active thread for the CC 21 tails in classifieds going for $50/head.

Locally here in Ohio, you’re looking at about $40/head on the left one, up to about $100/head for the middle with the right one somewhere in between.
$700 :face-with-spiral-eyes: haha I bought it for $150 at only a head but I don’t think I would let it go for anything more than $400. I could frag it any make more money off of it but I couldn’t morally do that lol

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$700 :face-with-spiral-eyes: haha I bought it for $150 at only a head but I don’t think I would let it go for anything more than $400. I could frag it any make more money off of it but I couldn’t morally do that lol
There is nothing wrong with making more money off of it. You can sell it as is for say $400-??? to one person or you could frag it and sell it to a few people at say $50-100/head. Assuming you get 5-7 heads off it. Probably not but maybe. Keep one or two for yourself and do it all over again. That isnt immoral. Charging $150/head might not be tasteful but isnt actually immoral either. If its healthy and someone is willing whats the issue? I personally liked to keep prices low and make more frags more people willing to pay $50 as opposed to $750 or even $450. I preferred to keep people I sold to happy incase I loose something that they may have good luck with I can get some back. Gave lots of free stuff out in my day too. I like your thinking though. Its refreshing to see this line of thought. You may end up making one person super happy at $400 but you could make 3-4 people happy by fragging it and getting a little more for yourself too. You put time, effort, and money into growing it in the first place that is worth something. You wont make the full amount at first but say you keep 2 heads and grow that out again then thats where you get the make up from. Eventually you sell the whole thing cheap because you are tired of looking at it or fragging it. At that point you got the initial cost and the cost of maintenance back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back