Indy Reefer - RSR 250

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I bought a used Red Sea Reefer 250 a few months ago, so I figure I should start a build thread to track progress and document all my many mistakes!

Setup & ready to cycle (May 27th)
20190529_070410.jpg

20190529_070402.jpg

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle started on May 25th and complete around July 4th (was in no hurry so I was not testing daily)
  • ~40 lbs dry rock (amazon + some shelf rock)
  • 30 lbs of Reef Flakes
  • Bacteria - TLF Bactiv8 & Seachem Seed
  • Ammonia Source - Ammonium Chloride

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment installed to date (Aug. 9th)
  • Tank / Stand: RSR 250 White
  • Plumbing: Schedule 80 w/ manifold
  • Return Pump: Reef Octopus - Varios 6
  • Return Output: Y Locline & VCA random flow
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus - 110 EXT
  • ATO: JBJ w/ Bashisea 10 Gal Resevoir
  • Controller: Apex EL
  • Lights: 2X AI Prime HD w/ black mounts
  • Wavemaker: 1X WAV (probably will get another in the future)
  • Heater: Cobalt Neotherm 200W

Equipment not installed yet:
  • Reactor: Aquamaxx small
  • UV Light: Coralife 18W Turbo Twist

Equipment planned to purchase
  • Another wave maker (either WAV, or something smaller)
  • Lid: Clearview classic
  • Autofeeder

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock & date added to DT:
  • July 5th - CUC: Reef Cleaners 20L w/hermits + 1X Thin striped hermit (Mike the Murderer)
  • July 17th - Lawnmower Blenny ~6" (Melvin)
  • July 20th - Mocha Clown ~2.5" (Minnie)
  • July 20th - Normal Clown ~1.5" (Mac)
  • July 24th - Superman Mushroom & GSP
  • July 31st - Blue Candy Cane & Green Toadstool
  • Aug 4th - Green Candy Cane, Hammer & 3X Acans

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Like the scape. Saw Indy Reefer and had to reply!!!

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DWPhilli Great start !!! How do you like your WAV in this tank? I'm putting one in my REEFER 250 and possibly two WAVs in there.

Honestly, I the WAV seems really powerful. I keep it on 1-5%, which is still 1,400 gph, and I am still having trouble finding places to put the softies & low flow LPS where they do not get blown away / shredded. Otherwise I have had no issues with the pump function or programming through the Apex.

It is nice being able to plug it directly into the EB32 without using a socket (I am trying to use only one EB), and that was the main reason that I got the WAV over others. If Neptune comes out with a smaller version, I would definitely be interested in it.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for commenting.
I see you are in Fishers. I work just south of 96th so technically a few feet from Fishers. Gotta love this construction!
Is it sad that I am looking forward to winter so the construction will stop?

AV8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the AI Primes doing? I just set up a reefer 250 and I’m researching lights. I already own one AI Prime but I’m debating if I should buy another (maybe 2 more) or spend more and get two Kessil A360s.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I the WAV seems really powerful. I keep it on 1-5%, which is still 1,400 gph, and I am still having trouble finding places to put the softies & low flow LPS where they do not get blown away / shredded. Otherwise I have had no issues with the pump function or programming through the Apex.

It is nice being able to plug it directly into the EB32 without using a socket (I am trying to use only one EB), and that was the main reason that I got the WAV over others. If Neptune comes out with a smaller version, I would definitely be interested in it.
@DWPhilli that's a big plus for me too. Not having to use an AC outlet for WAV pump(s). With an EB832 as power source you can also power monitor and do electricity cost with these energy bars.

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the AI Primes doing? I just set up a reefer 250 and I’m researching lights. I already own one AI Prime but I’m debating if I should buy another (maybe 2 more) or spend more and get two Kessil A360s.

The Prime HDs seem to be doing good. I may get a 3rd in the future if I ever decide to get more light demanding coral

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank been doing since the last update? Nice pick up on a used 250- been looking for one myself. Been thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a new one, I have a IM30L AIO right now and want to make the upgrade. I’m a fellow Indianapolis reefer also!

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank been doing since the last update? Nice pick up on a used 250- been looking for one myself. Been thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a new one, I have a IM30L AIO right now and want to make the upgrade. I’m a fellow Indianapolis reefer also!

Welcome to R2R!!!

The tank is doing good. I just got back from two weeks vacation, so a little clean was required, but everything made it except for one mushroom that disappeared.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

The tank is doing good. I just got back from two weeks vacation, so a little clean was required, but everything made it except for one mushroom that disappeared.

Thanks! I have been on the Nano-Reef forums for a couple years now, decided to join over here for some additional reading since im going a tad bigger, and moving to a sump system! How are you liking the reef octopus ext 110? I was looking into that being the skimmer i purchase also but i read a lot of complaints stating it was very loud, so i was looking at the regal 150 i think. Also i have a Maxspec Razor 16000k on my current tank, i plan on buying the ATI T5 36in hybrid to run with my LED maxspect for the 250. I love the look and the results i have seen of the hybrid light set ups.

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the reef octopus ext 110? I was looking into that being the skimmer i purchase also but i read a lot of complaints stating it was very loud,

The reef octopus Ext 110 came with the setup, but it is pretty quiet for me. With the cabinet doors closed I do not hear it. I do not have anything to compare it to though.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DWPhilli have you gotten you Clearview lid yet? I wanted a Safe Tops lid but they went out of business. Now I'm looking at a Clearview Pisces Exo.
Went to the Safe Top Lids website just out of curiosity and they are not going out of business but reorganizing. They have a much nicer lid and with all the bells and whistles they are about $150 more than the Clearview lid for a Reefer 250. I would really like to get a monogrammed lid with a fancy letter "P" for my last name.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back