info about Atlanta

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first weekend of July My wife, daughter, and I will be visiting Atlanta for a few days. We are going to the Aquarium, Zoo, World Of Coca-Cola and Fernbank museum. We may stop at a few other places depending on time.
Currently, I am looking at staying at the Wingate By Wyndham Atlanta Buckhead on Piedmont Road Northeast. How is this area? safe. etc.

Any other things to watch out for and any restaurants that are a must.

Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckhead is great. You'll love it.
Try the anise bistro. It's walking distance from the hotel.
It is a must.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thoughts on the Zoo, I hear its not a great area and parking is a pain. Is it worth even going?

ChipF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from Georgia and live in Atlanta. I have never been to the zoo...enough said. The aquarium, however, is on another level. You could go over and over and see something different every time.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't get to the zoo.
All the area down town is a bit of a parking challenge shall we say. Coke and aquarium.
If you can you might want to consider lift uber taxi.
It was about 25 min on surface streets to the aquarium on a week end. So it was buisy I went.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from Georgia and live in Atlanta. I have never been to the zoo...enough said. The aquarium, however, is on another level. You could go over and over and see something different every time.

Thanks for the information, gives me something to think about.
Why have you never been?

ChipF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquarium, College Football Hall of Fame (more recently), The Georgia Dome, CNN Building, Centennial Olympic Park... All of these things are walking distance with easy access via driving, MARTA (public transit) and Uber. The zoo isn't. It's out of the way and from what I have heard not all that great. Might be wrong but hasn't been worth testing yet.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thoughts on the Zoo, I hear its not a great area and parking is a pain. Is it worth even going?
Not really a "national treasure" and you're right about parking and in a dicey neighborhood at that. I volunteer at GA Aquarium and would recommend that you check the website if you or family have any interest in also going on a behind the scenes tour, dolphin encounter, etc. while you're there. GAQ is located downtown and you can re-enter on your ticket after you've visited Centennial Park, tried a great German restaurant nearby, etc. Assume you're buying a City Pass for the attractions you've named.

Nice hotel and I'd take MARTA downtown if you feel like walking a few blocks to GAQ from the CNN Center station; if you drive there is plenty of parking at the Aquarium and nearby. As for restaurants, I'd take the hotel limo to Buckhead; many to choose from. BTW, this hotel is not near the airport and a taxi will cost about $50 or you can use Uber of Lyft now from the airport.

PM me if I can be of any particular help or you would like recommendations.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I kinda figure if we can get to the Zoo early and find parking we would check it out, most say they are only there an hour. Then we could head to Coca-Cola then the Aquarium since its open late.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I kinda figure if we can get to the Zoo early and find parking we would check it out, most say they are only there an hour. Then we could head to Coca-Cola then the Aquarium since its open late.[/QUOTE
Since you're driving, I'd go to Stone Mountain Park one day as well.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.
What is the best parking? World of Coca-cola is with the Aquarium, Can you just park at the aquarium and walk to the world of Coca-cola or should you park someplace else? I am planning on going to Coca-Cola first since I do not think it will take as long and they close earlier.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.
What is the best parking? World of Coca-cola is with the Aquarium, Can you just park at the aquarium and walk to the world of Coca-cola or should you park someplace else? I am planning on going to Coca-Cola first since I do not think it will take as long and they close earlier.
Yep, park at Aquarium and as you are walking toward main entrance you'll see WoC on your left, about 100 yards away.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Georgia Tech is a neat campus if you're looking for a free way to kill time. The Varsity is a must for lunch. It's definitely a tourist thing, but still worth it.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good deal, I think I will get a parking pass now.
So far I do not see how to get the behind the scene without purchasing admission tickets with them.
Should be able to do an "add on" when you have a City Pass since that will be your admission ticket. Website sometimes isn't friendly. Let me know if I can help

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coca Cola is not worth going in my personal opinion. The Zoo is pretty good actually. We have annual membership. If you have never seen a panda before then this is your chance. Aquarium, well I don't think I need to say much. We are reef junkies...

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number to call to add on the tickets so I should be all good!

I think at this time our plan is to try and go to the Zoo first thing in the morning if we can find parking easily which I understand is hard to do but if we get a spot we will not be there longer than a few hours. Then we will go park at the Aquarium Packing Garage and walk to Coca-Cola, spend a few hours there and go back to the aquarium and spend the rest of the day there. I have to call and get behind the scenes tickets yet, seems I can not do it online since I already have my admissions tickets.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number to call to add on the tickets so I should be all good!

I think at this time our plan is to try and go to the Zoo first thing in the morning if we can find parking easily which I understand is hard to do but if we get a spot we will not be there longer than a few hours. Then we will go park at the Aquarium Packing Garage and walk to Coca-Cola, spend a few hours there and go back to the aquarium and spend the rest of the day there. I have to call and get behind the scenes tickets yet, seems I can not do it online since I already have my admissions tickets.
Good plan; several good restaurants around Aquarium as is a giant, air-conditioned ferris wheel.

Sure you and family will enjoy your visit.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 38 65.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.9%
Back