Info on OG MattV Optimus Prime

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am curious about the numerous Optimus Prime SPS photos that come up in a google search. It appears there are at least 5 vendors with Optimus Prime SPS.

I’ve been told that the original OP is from MattV and only 3 people originally received frags of it. Reefnjunkies pic is one of the first to come up on google and I believe he lost his. I’m interested in potentially acquiring this piece. I would love to know more info and see if anyone on R2R still has it!

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
+1 following

need to spread the love Incase they lose it one day.
Well that’s kinda what I’m looking for. How many people, at this point, have it. Or has it been renamed? It’s similar to some corals I’ve seen out there.... I’m just intrigued with the history and availability and where it stands now.

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the OG MattV Optimus Prime who I purchased from a reefer name Uchin on r2r. He sold to me because it wasn’t doing much in his tank which I experienced as well because I had it sitting in my tank for half a year. Ended up transferring the frag to buddies tank who had more success but he lost the acro when his tank went through some instability.
Long story short is that the acro is very finicky and it doesn’t not surprise me you won’t find the og anywhere because how difficult the coral is to grow.

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first pic was the frag I got. Second is the stock photo shared with me.

13801365-8E39-4FEB-BFB9-8E07E41EC96D.jpeg 79F617D2-2C6D-4157-BB2C-4A237E38C17C.jpeg

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second photo is my photo when I had it- I acquired it from Matt and sold two frags, one went to Dennis (Sandoval I believe) at law office aquariums and the other was @aquavista99 whom last I knew still had it.

As far as I know Matt only released one frag and that went to Uchin- those are it as far as MattV Optimus Prime there are many other pieces that have that name but are pieces that individual just used the name unless it specifically mentions MattV.

Based on how slow this grew and it’s temperament I really don’t expect many pieces being out there. I did a frag back from Dennis but it was a little roughed up in shipping and never made i
If @SweetReefOH aquired a frag from Tim it’s the OG

HTH

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing the history, Brad. The MattV Optimus Prime that I received from you over 3 years ago is still alive and well in my grow-out system. It's absolutely stunning to see in person and has been an extremely slow grower (emphasis added) for me as well. Mine is grown out under 400 watt metal halide lights and still retains those stunning red polyps. It's the Holy Grail of sticks in my collection.

1581266938372.png

Second photo is my photo when I had it- I acquired it from Matt and sold two frags, one went to Dennis (Sandoval I believe) at law office aquariums and the other was @aquavista99 whom last I knew still had it.

As far as I know Matt only released one frag and that went to Uchin- those are it as far as MattV Optimus Prime there are many other pieces that have that name but are pieces that individual just used the name unless it specifically mentions MattV.

Based on how slow this grew and it’s temperament I really don’t expect many pieces being out there. I did a frag back from Dennis but it was a little roughed up in shipping and never made i

HTH

Last edited:

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the history, Brad. The MattV Optimus Prime that I received from you over 3 years ago is still alive and well in my grow-out system. It's absolutely stunning to see in person and has been an extremely slow grower (emphasis added) for me as well. Mine is grown out under 400 watt metal halide lights and still retains those stunning red polyps. It's the Holy Grail of sticks in my collection.

1581266938372.png

Very nice!!!
Im glad to see its doing well, its been many years since we discussed this- Is that a 4" tile?

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3" tile for the MattV Optimus Prime. My records show it arrived sometime in January of 2017. I am not sure which small branch you sent me years ago. Your mini colony, pictured below, was absolutely stunning!

Very nice!!!
Im glad to see its doing well, its been many years since we discussed this- Is that a 4" tile?

1581269238996.png

Last edited:

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a piece of it from @aquavista99 last week. It's doing well so far and I'm looking forward to watching it grow out and color up!
MattV Optimus Prime Resize.jpg

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great

HTH
Great info! Thanks!

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just got a piece of it from @aquavista99 last week. It's doing well so far and I'm looking forward to watching it grow out and color up!
MattV Optimus Prime Resize.jpg
I’d really like to know how it does for you. Maybe you could do a grow-out thread?

I love OG stories like this. It’s sort of a shame that it’s so finicky AND a slow grower on top of it because it is a very nice piece at Tim’s. I’ll be considering this one in the weeks to come.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back