Initial mistakes during set up, you wish you could do over.

  • Thread starter Thread starter fab1971
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
You sir, are braver than I.

The only reason I was able to afford my 125g, is that it came with a stand, heaters, rock, sand, tank and some cpr backpacks. It didnt come drilled, and I wasnt about to risk destroying it by doing so and be out a tank.

It was all crap, so I have since then (almost a year ago) built a new stand, hood, and working now on the sump/filtration system for my final and greatest reefing creation so far (hopefully). :D

Drilling is easy :) I know all kinds of people that have drilled typical tanks to use them with a sump. I'm totally nervous during the dilling, but still, it works out in the end....unless the glass breaks. hehe. Haven't had that happen yet.
 
Drilling is easy :) I know all kinds of people that have drilled typical tanks to use them with a sump. I'm totally nervous during the dilling, but still, it works out in the end....unless the glass breaks. hehe. Haven't had that happen yet.

Ha ha well next time I need to do this I will contact you!
 
On my current tank I don't have any complaints yet....

On a tank of the past I didn't have a big enough drain line so it overflowed often. I had this routine when I started the return pump and it was quite frustrating...
 
On my current tank I don't have any complaints yet....

On a tank of the past I didn't have a big enough drain line so it overflowed often. I had this routine when I started the return pump and it was quite frustrating...

Ha, I almost overflowed my tank tonight. I was playing with my valves off my return to try to get more flow into my reactors, and forgot to close the valve to the display. I came home today and found my water line was about 1/2 from the top, where is usually stays 1.5 inches down. Turned it down a tad, everything was fine. :)
 
Buying a seaclone skimmer and using tap water for almost a year and wondering why everything but my clowns were dying
 
If I had a dollar for every time I have overflowed something tank related I could afford a real nice named Chalice frag... I am quite forgetful.
 
One thing im gonna change next time around is that im gonna ensure that i seal every piece of wood a couple times. Also before i actually put the stand together im going to coat ever single 2x4 and everything thats going inside the stand with kilz.
 
Buying a seaclone skimmer and using tap water for almost a year and wondering why everything but my clowns were dying

This is a good one...seaclone... where do i start with that skimmer? BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. I hated that skimmer, it was the worst thing to tune and try to get right. I couldn't for hte life of me gett it to stay tuned for more than a couple days. I hate to say it but i think my fuge did a better job than my skimmer did.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new