Injured Fish, Help!

FlemFlam86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has been in my tank for two years. The other day, I noticed the other fish chasing him. The next day, he was missing his tail and parts of his other fins. Yesterday, I bought this net to quarantine him, and put a little bit of melafix in there. Today he's just lying there. What should I do?

46689.jpeg

OP
OP
FlemFlam86

FlemFlam86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I think he's going to die, should I leave him alone, put him in the freezer, or something else? I don't know what has caused this. Maybe they picked on him bc he was already sick?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has been in my tank for two years. The other day, I noticed the other fish chasing him. The next day, he was missing his tail and parts of his other fins. Yesterday, I bought this net to quarantine him, and put a little bit of melafix in there. Today he's just lying there. What should I do?

46689.jpeg

With the fish upside down like that, it is probably too injured to survive. There really isn't anything else for you to do other than observe it, unless you decide to euthanize it. If you do, here is an article about that:

Jay

OP
OP
FlemFlam86

FlemFlam86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the fish upside down like that, it is probably too injured to survive. There really isn't anything else for you to do other than observe it, unless you decide to euthanize it. If you do, here is an article about that:

Jay
Thank you, Jay! I was told freezing was the humane way, but I see I was misled. I will take the quickest, but most unpleasant way. A little discomfort for me can potentially save him some suffering.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea why the other fish would suddenly attack him after so much time?
You’re correct, it could have had a health issue that made it succeptable to being attacked, however, compatibility in fish does change over time: relative sizes change, fish become sexually mature, territories change, etc.

Jay

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back