Very Injured Snowflake

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone,

I haven’t found much about treating eels that become injured. I believe there may have been a squabble for a piece of food and the snowflake was bitten on the top of his head by the tessalata, barely missing his eyes, imagine a bonnet, that’s what it looks like. It is red and there’s visible tissue damage and he is clearly in distress.

Can I dose thé display with H202?
I have some général cure
I have a bit of kanamycin left over from when Canada allowed fish meds.

The H202 would be my preference if that is an acceptable treatment, if I take him out I do not think I would be able to put him back.

This is not a disease question, he has been injured.

@Humblefish
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good day everyone,

I haven’t found much about treating eels that become injured. I believe there may have been a squabble for a piece of food and the snowflake was bitten on the top of his head by the tessalata, barely missing his eyes, imagine a bonnet, that’s what it looks like. It is red and there’s visible tissue damage and he is clearly in distress.

I have some général cure

The H202 would be my preference if that is an acceptable treatment, if I take him out I do not think I would be able to put him back.

@Humblefish
Relate can pack a bite
Without a pic or video, will be hard to determine severity
This type of eel responds well to general cure and also seachem neoplex which will help with most eel wounds

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my snowflake came in horrible shape, looked like she was cut with a knife multiple times. I just made sure she had good water quality and food and let her be. She recovered very fast, within 2 weeks she had no marks left. One of her nostrils was completely torn off as well and that grew back within a month. Picture in the orange bucket is how she came to me, the one under the rock is a week out (showing the missing nostril) and the last is her today

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2685.jpeg
    IMG_2685.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4668.jpeg
    IMG_4668.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relate can pack a bite
Without a pic or video, will be hard to determine severity
This type of eel responds well to general cure and also seachem neoplex which will help with most eel wounds
Okay, general cure. Thank you

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my snowflake came in horrible shape, looked like she was cut with a knife multiple times. I just made sure she had good water quality and food and let her be. She recovered very fast, within 2 weeks she had no marks left. One of her nostrils was completely torn off as well and that grew back within a month. Picture in the orange bucket is how she came to me, the one under the rock is a week out (showing the missing nostril) and the last is her today
That’s encouraging, thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The wound should heal
The wound should heal on it’s own and general cure will protect from infection and hemorrhaging

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The wound should heal
The wound should heal on it’s own and general cure will protect from infection and hemorrhagingi B believe oy
That’s encouraging, thank youther treatment would be methylene blue but we want to verify- @jay h
I believe other effective treatment would be methelyne blue but would like to confirm - @Jay Hemdal

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s encouraging, thank you
Youre welcome! I freaked out when I saw her, she came out of the shipping bag that way. But I was surprised how fast she healed! Keep us posted!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good day everyone,

I have some général cure

@Humblefish
I would separate the eel into a tank on its own - treat per directions with Neomycin if you can get it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Read

read my replies- to prevent infection from wound
I read them. The antibiotic in General cure is metronidazole - which has a limited role in treating fish external infections. It is for anaerobic bacteria

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I read them. The antibiotic in General cure is metronidazole - which has a limited role in treating the bacteria in the tank
Infection- not bacteria
Methelyne blue would be treatment and trying to confirm and we haven’t seen pics of wound severity

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Infection- not bacteria
Methelyne blue would be treatment and trying to confirm and we haven’t seen pics of wound severity
I'm not trying to argue I just want to be clear. An infection is caused by bacteria. If a medicine does not kill the bacteria, the infection will kill the fish - or die off on its own (heal). Metronidazole does not usually treat the types of bacterial infection we see in tanks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not trying to argue I just want to be clear. An infection is caused by bacteria. If a medicine does not kill the bacteria, the infection will kill the fish - or die off on its own (heal). Metronidazole does not usually treat the types of bacterial infection we see in tanks.
For heaven sakes- this is a bite and not a bacterial issue. You have to consider safe treatments for eels- this not a fish we’re talking about
Let’s confuse this person while he is exploring safe and best options

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back